Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Impgreene
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

BT Wifi Opt-in Problems

Go to solution

I wanted to use BT Wifi, so I logged into BT and opted into the community (and saw the confirmation page saying I had logged in).

Then I downloaded the app and it asked me to sign in.

When I tried to sign in it asked me to opt into the BT Wifi community (which I had already done) and when I followed the instructions it took me to the same confirmation page saying I had opted in.

Then, you guessed it, when I tried to log into the app again it said I needed to opt into the BT Wifi community (which I had now done twice) and when I followed the instruction it took me to the same confirmation page saying I had opted in.

The, you guessed it, when I tried to long into the app again it said I needed to opt into the BT wifi network etc. etc.

Repeat 5 times and you get the idea.

Please can someone help?

Funnily enough I was just about to upgrade my cloiud storage with BT to 500GB - I'm rethinking that plan given they can't even sort out a simple log in protocol ..................

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Impgreene
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Wifi Opt-in Problems

Go to solution

Problemt solved, BT are so increadily rubbish.

So, in order to opt into BT Wifi you need to find the BTinternet email address you never us to log in and opt into the community.

Then, when you log into BT Wifi you need your normal user email that you use to access your BT account.

Why wouldn't you, one email to opt in and another one to log in - makes perfect sense in the world of BT I would assume.

Pathetic.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

As a "new" BT broadband customer or re-contracted after 2009 you are opted into BTWifi by default. You do not need to do anything else other than set up your BTID.

When the service starts

1. For new BT Broadband customers, your free access to BT Wi-fi will start when you receive confirmation of your BT Broadband order and set up a BT ID.

1. For existing BT Broadband customers that were not automatically opted in to the free service, it will start when you opt in via www.bt.com/btwifi.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/value-added-service.html#bt_wifi

In order to log on to BTWifi you use your BTID which needs to be an email address, not necessarily a BT one.

http://www.bt.com/static/wa/account/bt-id-explained/

If you are an "old" BT customer you use your primary BT email address.

See link

http://www.btwifi.com/what-is-bt-wi-fi/

0 Ratings
Impgreene
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

What does being a "new" or "re-contracted" BT Broadband customer have to do with this.

And you are wrong, if you are an old BT customer you dont use your primary BT email address (i.e. the one you use for everything) - you use the very old BT email address that BT gave you years ago, that you never use and have long since forgotten - that is exectly the problem.

0 Ratings
Impgreene
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

I decided to cancel my BT Wifi as I dont want BT doing anything more than the very basic things they still manage to mess us - i.e. providing a phone line and broadband.

And I checked, you are wrong, the "Register for BT Wi-Fi" asks for;

"BTinternet email address:
eg: g.gibbons@btinternet.com"

That's not my primary email address, that's the one I haven't used for years etc. etc., that email address doesn't do anything other than be required for this one last thing apparently.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@Impgreene wrote:

What does being a "new" or "re-contracted" BT Broadband customer have to do with this. It has everything to do with it. If you are a new BT customer you can use your BTID to log on which needs to be an email address but does not neet to be a BT email address.

And you are wrong, if you are an old BT customer you dont use your primary BT email address Yes you do.  (i.e. the one you use for everything) That is your BTID - you use the very old BT email address that BT gave you years ago, That is your primary email address that you never use and have long since forgotten - that is exectly the problem.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@Impgreene wrote:

I decided to cancel my BT Wifi as I dont want BT doing anything more than the very basic things they still manage to mess us - i.e. providing a phone line and broadband.

And I checked, you are wrong, the "Register for BT Wi-Fi" asks for;

"BTinternet email address:
eg: g.gibbons@btinternet.com"

That's not my primary email address, that's the one I haven't used for years etc. etc., that email address doesn't do anything other than be required for this one last thing apparently. That is what BT term your primary email address

0 Ratings
Impgreene
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

So why doesn't the "Primary Email Address" show up in any of my account details when I check my profile - it bascially isnt anywhere.

And please stop inserting things in red in a rude manner, please write a proper response.

I've wasted half of the last 2 days with BT on Cloud problems, so I think you should write respectful emails in reply.

0 Ratings
Impgreene
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

And what do I use my "Primary Email Address" for, because prior to BT WiFi I had survived for years without actually knowing what it is.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@Impgreene wrote:

So why doesn't the "Primary Email Address" show up in any of my account details when I check my profile - it bascially isnt anywhere.

And please stop inserting things in red in a rude manner, please write a proper response.

I've wasted half of the last 2 days with BT on Cloud problems, so I think you should write respectful emails in reply.

As gg30340 is just another customer like yourself, but has taken the time and trouble to respond to your post I think you should accept that he will reply in any way he sees fit.