cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

BT Yahoo Mail search failing to find results

Since the last change to BT Yahoo Mail's interface, I have noticed that the search function is sometimes failing to find messages which I know are there.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Previously it always worked.

For example, today I went looking for an email containing my car registration number (an email confirming I had paid my road tax).  I used quick search and advanced search, no results.  I then went looking for the email, and happened to find it.  As a test, I then copied the car reg no. from that email and pasted it into the search box, both the quick search and advanced.  I made sure I was searching my emails, not the internet, and that the date range was "any time".  Both the quick and advanced search functions still failed to find the message. 

This is actually quite a serious error, as I use my BT Yahoo mail for business purposes, and I am paying for the service.  If the search function is broken, I will have to seriously consider closing my account. 

Is there a fix to this error please?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Yahoo Mail search failing to find results

Why on earth would you use webmail for business!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

If you have nothing constructive to offer by way of an explanation or solution to this problem, kindly refrain from making pointless comments.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

How's this for a constructive post:

You should not be using BT email for business purposes because it is against the Terms and Conditions that you agreed to when you started the service.

See T&C section "Using the Service" sect 27.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/value-added-service.html#service_email

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

@Marbrien wrote:

If you have nothing constructive to offer by way of an explanation or solution to this problem, kindly refrain from making pointless comments.

It's hardly pointless when you are

a) Trying to run a business on a Mickey Mouse mail system.

b) Trusting a third party to look after your important data rather than looking after it yourself.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

I did not say that I was running a business on it.  By business purposes I include getting messages from agents in cionnection with my freelance work, getting replies from DVLA etc. 

Do you or the other Distinguished Poster actually have anything at all to say about the error I have reported.  Yes or no? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

The fix is to abandon webmail and use the proper tool for the job, a mail client, which is a far superior way to deal with email. Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird are both free to download.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

No

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

My wife has a Yahoo email account, as distinct from a BT Yahoo account, with a similar interface.  We just tested the search function in the manner I described earlier, and it works perfectly on her Yahoo system.  But the BT Yahoo search function appears to be broken. 

I welcome comments from anyone who can explain why it isn't broken, or can offer a solution that does not entail changing my email service, or refer me to the T&Cs; as far as I recall, none of the T&Cs implied that I had to put up with a broken email search function which previously worked. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

My suggestion does not entail changing your email service.

0 Ratings