cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT Yahoo Mail search failing to find results

I am assuming, liquorice, that you are employed directly or indirectly by BT to monitor these forums.  In which case, I'd like you to state one and only one thing: whether you were aware, before I made my post, of the existence of a recent problem with the BT Yahoo mail search function along the lines I have described. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 21

I can assure you I have no connection whatsoever with BT, I'm just another customer like everybody else on this forum except for the mods. I have no idea if there is a problem with BTYahoo webmail as I never use it, nor would I consider using it. I use Microsoft Outlook 2010 to collect my btinternet mail. If you want to use a second rate method of collecting mail, that is entirely your prerogative. You wanted a solution I have provided one.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 21

Hi Marbrien

I too have noted this with the new BT Yahoo search option, sometimes it just will not provide a result even when you know its there.  I have generally had a better result using advanced than not, and i filter down quite drastically to just try and find something.  I can only recommend try and try again - sorry!  It may be down to a busy server unable to perform the search, and the data could be in a non searchable state at that time, nother of these things we can control with the data held in the web.

However I too ONLY use webmail and have done for as long as ive held this email address, (over 10 yrs) I like using webmail, it suits my purposes, and using a client would actually give me more issues than solve them. I dont want to be bothering with pst files and exports every time i change a pc/laptop or smartdevice.

Some comments are put out there to incite a response, I hope mine has been just "helpful" from a fellow webmail user. 

Donna

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Yes, thank you donna1501 for answering in that way!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

@donna1501 wrote:

Hi Marbrien

However I too ONLY use webmail and have done for as long as ive held this email address, (over 10 yrs) I like using webmail, it suits my purposes, and using a client would actually give me more issues than solve them. I dont want to be bothering with pst files and exports every time i change a pc/laptop or smartdevice.

Some comments are put out there to incite a response, I hope mine has been just "helpful" from a fellow webmail user. 

Donna

There is no need to bother with pst files and exports, if you configure all your devices as IMAP, they will be perfectly in sync at all times.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 21

I'm on BT Yahoo email.

I am having the same problem as the original poster, that is, the search function doesn't actually work properly, (although it used to). I'm not a particularly sophisticated user of email, so suggestions about setting up another email client fill me with gloom. Is there a simple fix for this problem, some way of inducing the search to actually work?

Of if not, could anyone be kind enough to suggest HOW to fix it by setting up a new client or whatever is necessary, to someone with little prior knowledge of this stuff? That is to say, describing it in enough detail for me to do it, rather than just implying I'm an idiot for not knowing, or for using BT mail in the first place etc.

Also, to BT, this has been a known error for nearly 2 months - is anyone working on fixing this broken system? Doesn't BT have a duty to make its facilities work properly? If not, shouldn't it publicise the fact with a disclaimer along the lines of "** Caution - not all the advertised facilities can be relied upon to work properly **"

Thanks in anticipation...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

First of all download Windows Live Mail from here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/essentials-other#essentials=overviewother
Once installed, click on the 'Accounts' tab > Email > and you should see this screen.

manualwlm.jpg

Enter your email address, account name  and password then Tick the 'Manually configure server' option and then 'Next' when you should see this screen.

wlm7.jpg

Populate as shown (replace xxx with correct details) then click next and that should be it set up.

Any problems post back for help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 18 of 21

Hi Licquorice,
Thank you for taking the trouble to do this. I haven't carried this out yet as I have pressing things I need to do, but I will get round to it as soon as I can.

Is the essence of this phenomenon/problem that the Yahoo part of the Mail system works absolutely perfectly, but the BT code that links to Yahoo mail and accesses and retrieves mail from Yahoo is faulty, so your suggested solution essentially bypasses the faulty BT retrieval part of things and taps into the Yahoo mail part of things more directly, and thus does it correctly? is that essentially what's going on?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 21

If you use a web browser to collect email, all the functions are carried out online and are at the whim of the provider. If you use a dedicated mail client (program) on your PC, all the search functions etc are carried out locally in accordance with how the program works. You are also accessing the server directly rather than via a webpage.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 21

See link by BT.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44892/c/346,6588,6589#maincontent

If you click on the button "set up my email" you can use it to set up your email on an email client. It will "walk" you through the process.

0 Ratings