cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Yahoo browser is stopping !!!!

Go to solution

Hello All

Today I received an e-mail advising the following..

We’re stopping your BT Yahoo! Browser soon. If you don’t change to another one, you won’t be able to get online and will lose your bookmarks

It goes on to advise the following..

1. Uninstall your BT Yahoo! Browser

Go to www.bt.com/help/ie8

2. Download a new browser

Get Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for BT Yahoo! free from the BT Yahoo! Software Centre. You’ll need your BT Yahoo! username and password..

Has anyone ealso received this mail ? And why are BD stopping Yahoo browser ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Yahoo browser is stopping !!!!

Go to solution

@Whitestar6567 wrote:

Has anyone ealso received this mail ?

I haven't (but I don't use it anyway) but lots of people apparently have.  There was quite a bit of discussion about this on this forum a while ago, with BT saying that they weren't providing or supporting it any more.

And why are BD stopping Yahoo browser ?

Who knows ?   My best guess - it was based on IE6 I believe, which is far too old to be considered secure anymore and I'm not sure what the situation is with regard to security patches etc. They probably couldn't, or wouldn't, justify the cost of developing a new BTY! browser based on IE8 when there isn't really anything show-stopping that the old BTY! browser offerred, that can't be done with a more modern (and safer !) browser in conjunction with some freely available add-ons.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
Jules0705
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you. 

I have been searching all over the internet to find out what has happened.  I followed the instructions on my email and now it takes me ages and ages to log on through IE.  is this normal?  Has anyone else downloaded another browser and if so is it any good?

I do worry I am on dial up now as it is so slow.  I am on broadband and have been very spoiled.

😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Try Mozilla Firefox, a lot of people on here use it. 

Back up your bookmarks from IE to a folder ("Export bookmarks"), download and install Firefox  and then "Import" your IE bookmarks from that folder to Firefox.  Once Firefox is up and running, delete IE.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Alderney
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Do you have to delete it??  My Ma is 82 and has had this message from BT but its too difficult for her to sort out - if she does nothing will it still work?  She only uses her computer for e-mails. Thanks

0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@Alderney wrote:

Do you have to delete it??  My Ma is 82 and has had this message from BT but its too difficult for her to sort out - if she does nothing will it still work?  She only uses her computer for e-mails. Thanks

Update the browser if you can, one of the major reasons for changing this is ongoing Browser insecurities which also affects associated E-mail applications. Smiley Sad

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
jimmi
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I havent downloaded the new version yet or read the terms and conditions, but the home page for the download states that :- 

As part of the upgrade process, we'll ask you to accept some new terms of service. This is because some of the new features of BT Yahoo! Mail rely on knowing more about how it's used. We need permission from you to deliver these features as well as to present you with more relevant advertising.

I believe there are two reasons for this, 

(2009) Since last autumn, BT – under the "Webwise" banner – has been trialling a technology called Phorm, which dials direct into your internet service provider's network and intercepts communications between you and the websites you visit, using information about the sorts of things you are viewing to serve you targeted ads.

from - http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/feb/02/privacy-civil-liberties

also BT/talktalk recently lost an anti-privacy case about downloading and I think the new terms will cover this and allow them to block sites.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/8464471/TalkTalk...

0 Ratings