cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anorth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

BT YouView IPTV bandwidth

Can anyone tell me whether or not the 'IPTV bandwith cap:' setting currently in the BT Vision Box will apply to the BT YouView box? My understanding is that this sets the managed switch option in the HomeHub to allocate bandwidth dedicated to BT on demand services. In my case, as an Infinity user, this is 8Meg. So another way to ask the question is 'have BT allowed the BTYouView box to utilise this option?'

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 27

Re: BT YouView IPTV bandwidth

Hi anorth,

Welcome to the forum.

All BT Vision VoD (i.e. played from the BT Player app) is assured. This means that BT Vision traffic will be prioritised by the network. Currently the other traffic (iPlayer, ITV Player etc) is not.

Hope this helps,

Stephanie
0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 27

So not only do you get ads (that you can't skip) on the Youview catch up service, but the traffic counts towards your broadband usage limits. I think Youview's a dead duck.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 27

According to the website FAQ

Unlimited: gives you access to all BT Vision programmes with everything except Box Office films included in the monthly fee. Box Office films are available from £2.50. And with BT Vision Player Unlimited, there's no need to worry about your BT Broadband usage allowance - all BT Vision and YouView On Demand and Catch Up TV is exempt from your usage.

So it shouldn't count towards your usage, but it would suggest it's liable to possible network management which could result in that anything other than something through the bt player could be unwatchable (ie: sky now,  netflix/lovefilm if released)

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 27

@minusdot wrote:

So not only do you get ads (that you can't skip) on the Youview catch up service, but the traffic counts towards your broadband usage limits. 

No.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 27

@masona2 wrote:

@minusdot wrote:

So not only do you get ads (that you can't skip) on the Youview catch up service, but the traffic counts towards your broadband usage limits. 

No.

My bad! Apologies.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 27

Let me translate. Stephanie was saying that QoS is used for BT Vision Player and isn't for anything else. This has nothing to do with counting towards your broadband limits.

minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 27

I get it now. 2 people pointing it out is enough to get through my thick skull! 😉

I don't rate the QoS much anyway, I think it'd be a whole lot simpler if they buffered better.

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 27

@walkerx wrote:
So it shouldn't count towards your usage, but it would suggest it's liable to possible network management which could result in that anything other than something through the bt player could be unwatchable (ie: sky now,  netflix/lovefilm if released)

No. 

Either via a BT YouView box or a retail one, either.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
anorth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 27

I think we are getting close to an answer to my original question. Only we are not there yet. I do not work for BT so I will have to make certain assumptions from my dealings with the technicians I have spoken to. BT have a bandwidth cap setting in their Managed switch in the Home Hub. This is set, in the case of Infinity to 8Meg and something like 2.5Meg for ADSL. The only place I know to check this, is on the menus in the BT Vbox. It is where the Openreach engineers check to see that the fibre install has kicked in for BT Vision. This setting only comes into play when demand from BT Vision kicks in and reserves that part of the bandwidth purely for the service, thus preventing any other internet service through the hub from causing disruption.

Note this is nothing to do with your allowance, which is an entirely different matter of no concern to my question.

Now, again, is there anywhere out there that some one can say, yes, the YouView box software for BT does utilise this bandwidth allocation, not allowance. I know how an Openreach engineer checks for Infinity install for BT Vision on a Vbox, let us see if any one on the technical side can tell me which menu option they would use on the YouView box to make the same check. This must have been covered in their training.

If, heaven forbid, BT are no longer going to use this allocation feature, then I think it is a major loss. This seemed to be one of the overriding good bits of BT Vision, which I do not rate for the rest of its options.

0 Ratings