Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanB-99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

BT YouView Issues

Go to solution

Good Morning,

I have a number of issues with my BT YouView box providing the service I was expecting after moving to this platform from BT Vision.
Up to June this year I enjoyed several years of watching BT Sport on the Vision+ box. Picture quality on Vision+ was excellent and extremely reliable, and all of this with connecting the Vision+ box to the Home Hub via powerline adpaters (BT Broadband Extenders 500).

When setting up the box in June and during the initial period it was connecting to the internet ok, however I wasn't spending a lot of time watching the BT Sport channels or using the Internet provided content.

Fast forward then to August and the football season etc, and a different story, one of repeatedly restarting the Youview box, powerline adapters, network switch and Home Hub to no avail. I even tried swapping the Broadband Extenders for new BT Broadband Extenders 600, with no real success. I am on Infinity 2.

Taking the last 6 days as typical of what I've seen:
1. Saturday lunchtime - powered off YV box & Home Hub 5, and swapped powerline adapters to the "600" ones. After doing this, the YV box connected to the internet, and BT Sport channels were available and in good quality. This state continued for the remainder of the day and evening. Catch up players eg STV Player worked fine at this time too.
2. Sunday lunchtime - switched on YV box, looked like it was still connected as the guide and recorded programmes pictures were still visible. However, switching to any of the BT Sport channels resulted in a black screen, followed after 30 seconds or so, by a badly pixelated picture. Restarting the Home Hub at this time made no difference. Also at this time, I was unable to get a picture on Channel 4 HD. Not sure why this if this is related or not.
3. Mon-Wed, without having made any other changes, the sport channels would only be available late each night.
4. This morning I used a speed checker connecting a laptop to the network switch from which the YV box also gets it's broadband, and found the speed to be less than 2MB. BT Sport channels were not working. I then powered everything off once again, home hub, extenders, YV box. I re-tested the broadband speed after powering them all on again and saw 30MB. At this point I could watch all the BT Sport channels.

My questions are:-
a) Anyone know why powering off everything should result in better broadband speed? Does signify an issue with any of the h/w in my house?
b) What is the difference between how the Vision+ and YV boxes handle the BT Sport channels?
c) Short of running a network cable halfway round the house, is there anything else I can try to resolve this?

It would be great to resolve this so any help will be greatly received. 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
dfel100
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT YouView Issues

Go to solution

Sorry IanB-99, this is not a solution but just to say that this has also happened to me in the last week whereas before connecting to through powerlines was fine.  I have had to turn everything off including router, adapters box etc and it is working at the moment but I am not convinced it will long term.  I wish BT would invest in a wireless box a la Sky Q.

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

A wireless(wifi) supported Youview box would be great but in some cases wifi would not be reliable enough to watch the HD multicast channels let alone if you also had the UHD sports channel due to the way those channels are broadcast.

Wifi would only be good for the apps on Youview. As well as the likes of the BT Player.

With more and more channels and HD I would just be happy if BT brought out a standerd Youview + HD box that had a 1TB hard drive like the Humax Youview retail box. In the last 6 or 7 months I have found that 40% of my TV viewing is no longer via live TV broadcasts. 

500GB is fine but with more and more HD a 1TB option would have been good. Yes the UHD box has a 1TB hard drive but some like me only have a full HD TV or in some cases a cheaper HD ready 720p TV.

Im happy with both my Samasung full HD smart TVs. One in bedroom is a 22inch 2012 model and one in living room is a 32inch 2013 model. I have no plans to replace any of the two TVs with a UHD(4K) TV for at lest an other year to 18 months.

Darren

0 Ratings
IanB-99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

@dfe!100 thanks for sharing your similar experience. It's always good to know I'm not alone in this.

Following on from my initial post, can anyone explain what is the difference between how the Vision+ and YV boxes handle the BT Sport channels when the former worked really well, and the latter has yet to?

0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

@ney wrote:

A wireless(wifi) supported Youview box would be great but in some cases wifi would not be reliable enough to watch the HD multicast channels let alone if you also had the UHD sports channel due to the way those channels are broadcast.

Darren

Depending on which Home Hub you have (I have the HH4) the sports channels won't work over WiFi anyway as the wireless part of the router needs to support multicast - the HH4 WiFi doesn't.

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings
IanB-99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

@siteguru - thanks for replying. Yes I'm aware the sport channels don't work over WiFi. I have a HH5 which was previously connected to the Vision+ box up to May this year, when all the BT Sport channels worked well. It's when I switched to the YV box, I started to see issues trying to receive those channels. 

0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

All I know is that BT Sports works fine on my YV+ box (DTR-T2100 model). Yes there's the very occasional "freeze" but it recovers quickly. (Only a couple of seconds break in service). For clarity I only get BT Sports in SD ... I don't have the HD (or UHD) sports package.

I have BT Infinity 1 (unlimited) and a HH4. The HH4 is connected to a TP-Link WiFi router and the YV+ box is connected to a TP-Link WiFi access point ... therefore the YV+ box is connected via WiFi, but goes via a device that does support multicast over WiFi. As this device is connected to a LAN port on the HH4 then the HH4 doesn't know any different. 🙂

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings
IanB-99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Good Evening All, I'm still having issues, still resetting everything which usually works but only for a few days at a time. Can anyone help me understand why I can watch BT Sport channels sometimes but it's not a guaranteed thing for it to be working? For example, I couldn't watch the Tottenham v Everton game on Saturday evening because the picture was badly pixelated, but I've just switched the YV box on and am watching Live NBA on BT Sports 1.

I've been on to the helpdesk, they got me resetting everything once again to get the picture back but as I've said, this only lasted a few days before I'm back to square one. 

0 Ratings
IanB-99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Oh and I meant to add I use a BT Homehub 5a which I've seen a number of posts about being a potential source of issues. Is this the case? The HH says the software was last update in july 2017, hasn't there been a upgrade since then?

thanks

Ian

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Hi Ian, your problems seem very similar to ones I had a while ago. I was running the Youview box via an unmanaged switch which was hard wired to a HH6 or a TPLink VR900 (the latter is what I have been using for some time now). I was getting pixelation on one streamed channel and switching to another one gave a black screen. The Ethernet cable terminates behind the TV so was able to plug it straight into the Youview box. This cured the problem and it’s been rock solid ever since (apart from the occasional stuttering sound issue which is still ongoing).

The problem with power line adapters or Wi-fi is that every environment they are used in is different. The house wiring and Wi-fi signals are subject to all sorts of differing interference and no one location is identical. My advice would be to try a temporary run of Ethernet cable to see if that cures the problem first then at least you will know that it is nothing to do with your download capacity. I have noticed that the Youview box does seem to hold on to the Broadband signal for a while after it is switched off which is probably the reason for you different speed test results.

0 Ratings