Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrBoy
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT YouView+ PVR really awful remote control issues

I just bought one of these on Amazon: 

BT Youview+ Set Top Box (500Gb) Recorder with Twin HD Freeview and 7 Day Catch Up TV

It seemed a great way to get a Freeview PVR and YouView in one box at a pretty decent price - we previously had a Freesat box but moved somewhere with decent TV signal finally!

The box seems fine but I can barely use it as the response to the remote control is absolutely shocking. Most of the buttons only work about one time in 5, and the main OK button barely ever works. We struggled through the initial setup but as for actually watching TV... hopeless.

I have no idea if it's an issue with the box, the remote, or something else. My only expereince with these boxes is the cheapest BT TV box (no record, no HD) which was pretty bad but mainly due to the CPU just being slow, I think. I'd expected this box wouldn't have the same problem.

I'm stuck what to do next. A new remote is £25 on Amazon, but if I report a fault I think they'll just ask me to return the whole thing. Any advice or suggestions?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT YouView+ PVR really awful remote control issues

@MrBoy

It can be caused by light from the TV screen falling on the fromt of the YouView box. Some TVs seem to cause this issue.

Is it possible for you to try the box where there is no chance that light from the TV can fall on the front of the box, that will prove whether that is the problem.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/new-YouView-Box-remote-control-diabolical/m-p/1682657#M321...

And https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/new-YouView-Box-remote-control-diabolical/m-p/1682249#M321...

MrBoy
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

I'll give this a go and report back, thank-you
0 Ratings
Gemma_P
BT TV Expert
Message 4 of 7

Hi @MrBoy

Sorry to hear you are having problems with remote and BT TV. If you are still having issues after following the advice above, please PM me your telephone number and I'll be happy to look into the issue for you.

Thank you,

Gemma

0 Ratings
KindCactus
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Any luck with this? We have changed our box many times because the connection to the remote control is so bad.
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

You could try changing the remote control instead and treat yourself to a Logitech Harmony remote.
0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 7 of 7

It's got to be either a faulty remote control or box.  I've never had issues with the YV remote control and I operate mine (DTRT-2100) either direct or via an IR repeater system.  

0 Ratings