Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 211 of 300

Re: BT YouView

@betsvigi9 wrote:

It's pretty clear that if you are an existing BT Vision customer, there is little to be gained from moving to YouView for at least another 12 months (and everything to lose if you subscribe to the Sky Sports channels).  I can understand why BT have been pushed into launching it now, but until the additional IP-delivered channels are available then it is pretty much the same as the current BT Vision offering. 

Move along, nothing to see here yet!

I agree with the above. I expect YouView will, in the future, be an excellent platform, offering many diverse features and services. But not at the moment...

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 212 of 300

@masona2 wrote:

@betsvigi9 wrote:

It's pretty clear that if you are an existing BT Vision customer, there is little to be gained from moving to YouView for at least another 12 months (and everything to lose if you subscribe to the Sky Sports channels).  I can understand why BT have been pushed into launching it now, but until the additional IP-delivered channels are available then it is pretty much the same as the current BT Vision offering. 

Move along, nothing to see here yet!

I agree with the above. I expect YouView will, in the future, be an excellent platform, offering many diverse features and services. But not at the moment...

If you have a big telly, say over 32", the freeview HD channels may be of interest to you, also an EPG that accurately reflects the times of programs and hopefully avoids missing the start/end times due to program over run etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 213 of 300

Any new tv would see the benefit of HD but some of the new Samsung TVs need hd to stop ghosting as normal tv channels are just is not good enough.
Stopping you missing program's is down to the broadcasts and the info they send not the box you have.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 214 of 300

@teeddy36 wrote:

Stopping you missing program's is down to the broadcasts and the info they send not the box you have.

The current BT (pre-upgrade) system only updates over night, so it is down to the box in this situation. I think this is what David was referring to....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 215 of 300

new rumour on youview .....................

The second generation of YouView boxes will allow BT to provide its pay-TV services through the platform and BT plans to stop selling its BT Vision boxes at that stage. However, a launch date for the new box has yet to emerge.

In an interview with Campaign this week, YouView's chief executive, Richard Halton, said BT plans to phase out BT Vision boxes in favour of YouView. However, sources close to BT insisted that no firm decision has been made on scrapping the brand itself.

Industry sources believed that, although getting rid of the BT Vision brand is one option, it could live on within the BT area of the YouView EPG.

bt wont confirm or deny the claims

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/1152212/bt-plans-overhaul-pay-tv-brand/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 216 of 300

I'd like to subscribe to BT Vision, as a brand new customer to BT (I don't currently have any products at all with them). I need to know whether to sign up now and get the Vision set-top box, or whether I should wait for the YouView box. I have zero interest in the sports channels and already have a perfectly good HD PVR - I want the service mainly so that I can get NatGeo and Discovery programmes on-demand. I'd be grateful for any advice.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 217 of 300

You might as well get the new youview box if you dont like sky sports channels but the problem for some is if bt put some of there chanels over broadband i cant get infinty only option 3 20mbs so will wait and see wot channels i can get with normal broadband b4 changing to youview
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 218 of 300

I've just read a review of the new TalkTalk YouView box.

And they'll be streaming their live linear channels over ADSL (SD only). Although users are provided with a new YouView supported router. Which also supports FTTC, too.

Which is an interesting developement...

http://recombu.com/digital/news/talktalk-player-on-youview-exclusive-first-review_M10972.html

And possibly a pointer as to what we'll get.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 219 of 300

I think I'm going to stick with the BT Vision box and see what is available once the contract is up and then make a decision especially as sky keep asking me to go back and offering 75% off for 12 months plus another £50 credited to my account 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 220 of 300

@walkerx wrote:

I think I'm going to stick with the BT Vision box and see what is available once the contract is up and then make a decision especially as sky keep asking me to go back and offering **% off for 12 months plus another £** credited to my account 

Yes, I agree. But just for clarification, I was talking about BT Vision Linear channels.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings