Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

BT Youview Broadband Usage

I currently have two broadband connections;

A. BT Broadband Option 1 (10GB)

A.N.Other provider (Unlimited)

My BT broadband provider connection was exclusively used for BTVision and in December was upgraded to BT Youview by paying £49 and signing up to a new contract with BTVision and Broadband. Very happy with the service.

However, today I recieved an email telling me that I had gone over my 10GB (now 11GB) and will be charged £5 extra next month. My broadband usage is solely related to the youview box.

My understanding was that Youview/BT Vision usage was not seperate from the allowance (ie not charged). 

I have emailed a complaint to BT as clearly an extra £5 permonth cost in using Youview was not in my plans.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Youview Broadband Usage

Oh dear. I found this rather stunning admission at the bottom of the infallible usage monitor page earlier this evening (27/1/13):

What about YouView usage?

"If you are a YouView customer and subscribe to BT Vision, you will not be charged for any YouView usage. However, due to technical reasons, some YouView content is currently contributing to the usage monitor even though it's exempt."

"We realise that this is confusing and makes the broadband usage monitor inaccurate. However, we are working to fix this issue as soon as possible."

I kid you not! I have no idea how long this has been the case and it might even have been fixed, but I would just email this or a screenshot to billing and demand a refund. Let us know how you get on.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Thanks , 

I dont have that notice on my meter. But confusingly, it tells me that I am within my monthly alowance.

for the 26 Jan it is showing 1.74GB used with 8.26 remaining until the 31 January.

Below that it has a note 25/1/2012 £5 charge incurred for additional usage. Usage email sent to xxxxxxx

Which I guess was for the previous month?

Still waiting for response from BT

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Sorry Graeme. On the usage monitor page there is a list of links headed Any Questions? Click on What about YouView usage. It is still there this morning. BTW my meter is still not up-to-date so check what figure you are looking at.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Thankyou Kendoo, I found the link telling me the meter wasn't working! the meter reading for the 26th is correct, in fact it hasnt updated since yesterday. Stuck? Though presumably the £5 charge was for last month.

I checked the historical usage for December and got "There was no chargeable usage in that period." 

Strange - still waiting for a response from BT! They say they will respond to complaints within 24hours  (or 72hours). It near the latter.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Meter reading on  26 Jan was 1.74GB

Meter reading on  28 Jan was 2.82GB

That's an increase of more than 50% in two days. It doesnt make sense, especially when you consider that there is no computer linked to my BT account. Think I will switch the wifi off totally to see how the 

end of the month goes....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 16

Do you subscribe to youview from BT? The usage is only ignored if you do. If you got the box separately and just plugged it in then it's no different to streaming on a laptop. The basic package is only a fiver and will let you watch as much catch up as you want plus some stuff from the BT app.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Re: BT Youview Usage - beware you are being charged twice for Youview!

I have just changed from BT Vision to BT Youview.  Despite paying the £5 a month for the BT Youview my usage has gone through the roof since starting Youview.  On the Broadband usage page under the heading 'What about youview?' BT admit that they are aware of a technical problem.  Having just spent the last month making various phonecalls trying to ensure that I would not be over charged I received my bill today to discover that I had completely wasted my time.  As an Option 1 customer I had exceed my usage and had therefore been charged the £5.  Fed up with wasting hours on the phone negotiating my point I have now opted to increase to Broadand unlimited - so in effect I am now paying for the use of Youview twice. 

I have made a telephone complaint to BT today and I would recommend that all other Youview users do the same as it does appear that everyone on Youview is effectively being charged twice for it's use, as it certainly does contribute to the usage metre despite what BT operators may tell you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

I've just sent this email to Support!

I have Infinity and YouView. My monthly Broadband usage is shown as 13gb but this month I am already upto twice that amount. I recently enrolled for YouView on the understanding that YouView isn't included in my Broadband usage. So why has it doubled in this month? I haven't been doing anything different than other months. I see your note about errors in YouView usage so how do I know whether I'm reaching my limit if the amount shown on your site may be inaccurate!

Interesting to see what, if any, response I get!

Tony

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Just thought you'd like to see the reply I got: We are aware of an issue causing YouView usage to show on the broadband usage monitor, you will not be charged for this amount regardless. We are working hard at resolving this and will have an update for our usage monitor as soon as possible. The usage monitor is not covered under our Customer Service Guarantee Scheme as it’s a free facility and meant to be used as a guide in conjunction with your own monitoring. We also send out warning alert emails when you reach 70% (for 10GB products) or 80% (for 40GB products), which is also aimed at helping you manage your usage. Finally, we recognise the increasing time we are online and the importance of the internet to our daily lives, and so we strongly recommend to upgrade to a totally unlimited product. That way you don’t have to worry about usage at all. For more information on our new totally unlimited broadband please call 0800 800 150. I don't want to pay any more for Unlimited when I don't think I need it!
0 Ratings