cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Youview box receives less channels then my smart TV - any help guys? Thanks.

Hi all, This is my first post so I hope someone can help? I recently received my youview box as part of the tv BT infinity package internet deal. When I connected it all up, it scanned and found around 84 channels or so. Not bad I thought until I compared it to the tv channels I was receiving on my Sony Bravia Smart TV. I am missing quite a few channels such as Dave, Really ETC. This is despite me just taking out the aerial cable from my TV and plugging it straight into the youview box as per the setup instructions. Can anyone shed some light on this? I got it mainly for BT Sports but if I am receiving around 8-10 channels less then my Smart TV....then it's really quite annoying. Is my box faulty? I have done quite a few re-scans with no success. I have also looked at the availability checker and can see in my area, I am meant to be receiving a lot more channels. Thanks for any help guys!!!
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Youview box receives less channels then my smart TV - any help guys? Thanks.

You do need a lot stronger signal through the YouView box as it has twin tuners (so you can watch and record at the same time), therefore splitting the signal strength in half. You can go into the setting menu of the YouView box and check the signal strength for each channel. If the weaker channels were slightly borderline you may find this has pushed them just over. If your main channels are less than 60% strength this might cause issues on the lesser powerful ones. Also make sure you have picked the correct transmitter at the end of the search otherwise you may find you have tuned into a relay station that doesn't offer all the channels.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Re: BT Youview box receives less channels then my smart TV - any help guys? Thanks.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.  I guess that would explain it then.  Hmm bit disappointing.  I don't know why but I was expecting more channels going a seperate box.

At the end of the re-tuning I have tried both transmitters (london & cambridge) and neither seemed to have made a difference.  I also getting signal breakup on some channels which I was not getting through the TV direct so again this matches what you said.

I have looked on amazon and invested in a labgear signal booster which seems to have got good reviews so will give it ago.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Can I suggest you get a new aerial flylead - the cable that plugs in to your aerial socket.

If the cable you have is quite old I've seen what you describe happen - i.e. worked fine with TV's built-in tuner but didn't work so well with YouView+ box.

Have a look on amazon for a shielded aerial flylead - you might find this resolves your problem.

See: https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Fixing-YouView-missing-poor-quality-freeview-channels/m-p/...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thank you for your reply as well - will try this!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

I'm not allowed to post a direct link but if I remember properly the supplier on amazon was a 3rd party called 'world of data' and they had shielded cable in various lengths. It seemed to do the job so it may, possibly resolve your issue. Or not, of course!

It was only about a fiver (+delivery costs)

(I had a look on the BT Shop online for a similar item but the only one they had is out-of-stock).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Ok so I bought this booster and the reception is much improved and it found 70 internet channels but more fustrating it didn't improve on the tv ariel channels which remain the same so I am still missing a lot of channels.

I might try the new cable route if it is only a fiver.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Ariel is a washing powder and a little mermaid 🙂

As for your aerial(!) - yes I would definitely try a new cable.

It was only £5 + delivery - it was one of those 'supplied by x fulfilled by amazon' items and it came with an adaptor to convert a male to female plug if that was what you needed/else can just use the male plug.

If that solves your problem you can just return the booster to amazon for a refund. Remember to select the 'not suitable' option, not the 'I've changed my mind option'

The booster would make no difference to internet channels as these are not transmitted via your aerial

- Edit: did  you try any of the Internet channels you then saw in your list to see if you could actually view any you had subscribed to?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT TV Expert
Message 9 of 9

Check your TV aerial lead is well away from any sources of interference, especially HDMI cables. In particular make sure you don't lay the aerial cable next to the HDMI cable .

It's ok for them to cross at right angles - just don't lay them side by side.

TV channels are grouped into Multiplex groups (Mux) and some are transmitted at higher power levels than others. You probably find you are receiving the stronger signals byt not the weaker ones.
0 Ratings