cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RawRR234
Message 1 of 12

BT Youview confused?

Go to solution

I am currently a BT Total Broadband customer, I don't have any kind of Vision subscription. I want to get the YouView box, it says I can get it for a £49 activation fee only if I also get a BT Vision TV essentials pack for £4 a month. But when I was looking at the Vision pack it seems the only thing that is free is BBC iPlayer but I thought YouView was supposed to give you free access to all the online catch up services and seven day catch up and on demand tv etc. BT have been unable to just give me a straight answer, can anyone here tell me, if I order a YouView box and a TV essentials pack will I get all the YouView features or only get iPlayer for free please? Thankyou

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
MEM
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Youview confused?

Go to solution

From what I understand from these forums and BT is that you will be able to get the YouView box for free pay a £49 activation fee and delivery. You would need to sign up for a BTVision package as well which is currently £4 (rising to £5 in January) for 12 months. You will get access to all the Freeview channels in your area that don't require subscription and also to the on demand content (BBC iPlayer, 4OnDemand etc) available from Youview.

There is also on demand content from BT, YouView and Sky which you can download at a cost.

I think after looking at you post again you would need to have Infinity enabled as well.

Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
Everything MEM said is spot on, except you don't need to have Infinity to get YouView.
0 Ratings
apwood
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

I'm not a BT customer, but was wondering about moving back to BT.  From press reports I understood that by getting BT Infinity 2, I could also get Youview by paying the £49 + £6.75, and that there was no need for infinity 2 users to subscribe to TV essentials.  I understood that users without BT Infinity 2 would need to subscribe to TV essentials since they did not have unlimited broadband, which is needed for Youview.

Having now been invited - it seems I'd have to pay £5 per month for TV essentials, despite the fact I'd already be paying for unlimited broadband under BT Infinity 2.

So can someone enlighten me as to what I'd get for the £5 per month?  As far as I can tell you get zilch, nothing, nada.  (Oh, sorry, you're allowed to pay BT even more money to watch on demand content).  So BT want  me to pay them £5 a month to be allowed to pay them even more money to watch TV programmes?  They have to be joking!

Unless I'm mistaken, this is one potential new customer who, well, won't be going back to BT under this deal.  There is no way I'm willing to pay £5 a month for a "TV service" that includes no channels other than freely available freeview channels and catch-up TV.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
You are welcome to go and pay £270 for the YouView box then.

The money gives you access to the on demand content, so you can PAYG if youwant to and helps to offset the cost of the box.
0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@apwood wrote:

I'm not a BT customer, but was wondering about moving back to BT.  From press reports I understood that by getting BT Infinity 2, I could also get Youview by paying the £49 + £6.75, and that there was no need for infinity 2 users to subscribe to TV essentials.  I understood that users without BT Infinity 2 would need to subscribe to TV essentials since they did not have unlimited broadband, which is needed for Youview.

Hi,

I thought you already had a TT/Humax YouView box?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
apwood
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Yes I do, but given the fact my TT service currently isn't fully working I still have the option to cancel and I could be tempted to go to BT as part of upgrading to fibre broadband.

Regarding the earlier reply - I have no intention of buying a box - the question is do I stay with the free box from TalkTalk or go to BT.

BT have a better box in the Humax, but then again TalkTalk provide various additional channels for free.  If everything else were equal then the better box might make up for the additional channels.  (Ignoring the TalkTalk free gift of Lovefilm Instant).

But clearly they aren't equal - BT are expecting people to pay £5 for a TV service that includes only free channels and none of the extra free channels provide by TalkTalk.  I can't get my head around paying £5 a month for ... nothing!  Not something I can find a legitimate argument to convince HWMBO.  It's a joke to say that £5 gives you the privilege of obtaining on demand content PAYG - for £5 a month I could get LoveFilm Instant with far more content and no on demand fees.

If BT want people to pay for the box, they should be honest about it.  Let's see, £5 per month for, say 5 years is £300 -and you still need to keep subscribing...  Not cheap, especially when TalkTalk offer a box for free.  Their broadband is more expensive too ...

BT are not making a strong case for customer to swich to them instead of TalkTalk, nor for their TV service, it would be far better to buy a separate box than go for BT as it stands just now.

If what had been reported in the press were true (that the £5 per month TV fee would not apply to Infinity 2 subscribers), then I would have seriously considered BT, especially if TalkTalk looked to be unable to sort out the problems with the service they are providing to me.  As it stands, such a move could not be justified.

Surely, the benefit to BT should be from building and retaining a loyal customer base who are paying for the best service they provide - they should not need to charge the extra £5 per month for Infinity 2 subscribers.

0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

All the essentials package gives you is unlimited broadband access for the YouView box. You'd get that with TT, Sky and many other ISPs for all traffic, not just YouView stuff.

0 Ratings
apwood
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

and for Infinity 2 subscribers, you're already paying for that unlimited broadband - that's what gets me - they want their top subscribers to pay twice in a way.

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@apwood wrote:

and for Infinity 2 subscribers, you're already paying for that unlimited broadband - that's what gets me - they want their top subscribers to pay twice in a way.

Hmm, you give food for thought, there.

I would recommend holding off on a BT YouView box at the moment, for the following reasons -

It is as minusdot says above, all £5 a mth gives you is all your YouView usage does not count against your BB usage. But if your on unlimited BB already, this is, ultimately, pointless.

The new BT Multicast linear channels launch soon on BT, and as you already know, the Humax boxes are not yet capable of supporting such functionality, so they will only be available to users with a BT Vision box on the BT Vision 2.0 platform. So TT have the edge over BT atm, until the Pace YV box comes out. Because that will support Multicast channels.

And finally - we don't yet know have stable the new BT YV platform will be yet, as this digital channel retune has caused chaos to both BT Vision and YouView boxes atm. But this will hopefully be fixed sometime in Nov.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings