cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 140

BT and BTSpeedtester on it's **bleep** yet again?

Go to solution

Had an interesting Thursday using BT as my current isp.

Didn't get all the sites I wanted, those that did were so s l o w to load.

My lad has struggled with Facebook, yet when he gave up and popped round to our neighbour (on Virgin), no issue what so ever. He wants us to jump ship, which is now very tempting just for a quiet life.

The hub stats are fine, yet speedtester is telling a different story

Hmm.JPG

and also gives this

Hmmm.JPG

which, when shown a little clearer;)

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 42 Kbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

I'll carry out some more tests later on, unless I'm round my neighbours!

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
139 REPLIES 139
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 140

Re: BT and BTSpeedtester on it's **bleep** yet again?

Go to solution

Tried another method and got

1.JPG

So I clicked the download speed check link and got

2.JPG

And the start test button did nothing at all

At least the up to 24 test is working, though not what I was expecting

3.JPG

and

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 118 Kbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

Anyone know what the error is?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 140

Go to solution

DS

just tried the btspeedtester and got same usual page for testing - didn't see the new style as you have shown.

tried beta and that seemed ok with my speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 140

Go to solution

I found the new one by chance - have a look for yourself http://diagnostics.bt.com/speedtest/

Carried out some further beta tests

4.JPG

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 140

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

just tried the btspeedtester and got same usual page for testing - didn't see the new style as you have shown.

Me too, but it's up the creek. It loaded slowly but ran normally, though reporting a very silly download speed of 1.41 Mbps. It confirmed my IP profile of 17 Mbps, and other testers produce results consistent with that, around 16 Mbps.  

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 140

Go to solution

pottyperson wrote:snipped
but it's up the creek.

Spot on Potty

Mine has just given my normal result of

5.JPG

But during the test I have witnessed that the speed peaked at an impossible figure of 75.62Mbps, on an up to 8Mb connection!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 140

Go to solution
HI folks that version has been around on the main bt .com site for months sorry it is not the new one that is due on the 16th of april this link from Dean forum mod
http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Speed-Test-Clarity-Please/m-p/447445#M32101 then click on the link from his post and you will see all about the new version
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 140

Go to solution

Hi John,

I was already aware of the 'other method' for some time now, but thought I'd try that one as the normal (speedtester.bt.com) one appears to be having issues;)

Also, I wonder how many customers are also seeing poor/interesting results, then calling the HD without reading all of the beta page* and they send an engineer out, s/he finds nothing wrong and the customer gets a £130.00 charge......

Disclaimer:

• This Beta site has been set up to test the functionality of the new BT Wholesale Performance Tester on broadband ("the Trial").
  • This Site can be used to complete a download speed test on broadband lines however the accuracy of the results are not guaranteed for lines running above 24Mbps. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the results for lines running below 24Mbps, during the Trial, any such results will be indicative only, and do not form part of the applicable BT Wholesale Broadband Services contract.
  • BT Wholesale will not accept any line speed faults from Communications Providers based on the output of this Beta Speed Tester.
  • BT Wholesale may change or withdraw this Tester and or end the Trial without notice.

I can't see the above disclaimer on the normal tester.

Anyway, is it time for me to call the HD based on this

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 512 Kbps

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 140

Go to solution

personally i would try another tester and check first as the link posted by Dean say's the new version is out on the 16th with more features and a simpler interface so here's hoping the intermittent problems will be resolved

Like IMJ i am having no problems with it or the beta and  have just  checked a neighbours connection and thats fine as well seem like  it is affectingsome lines but not others a strange one

DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 140

Go to solution

Just tried one;)

6.JPG

0 Ratings