cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burley
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT and the Small Claims Court

Has anyone had experience of taking BT to the Small Claims Court? BT promised to connect my new home to Broadband on 1 July. I'm still not connected now having received countless broken promises via phone and letter. My wife and I are teachers and have lost around £2000 in earnings so far because we mark GCSE papers (the system requires you to be online). I have the documentation proving this so I think I would have a strong legal case against BT. Before I apply to have my case heard in court I thought I'd ask of anyone else has been down this route.
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT and the Small Claims Court

you can try contacting the forum mods who are only BT employees on the forum and see if they can find out when you are going to be connected   If you have a residential line then I doubt you can make any claim for business use or loss of it

contact mods

can take up to 5/6 working days for mods to contact you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ernie_c
Expert
Message 3 of 10

Was this a residential or business contract you were trying to enter into? It will presumably make a huge difference at the small claims court.
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

@ernie_c wrote:
Was this a residential or business contract you were trying to enter into? It will presumably make a huge difference at the small claims court.

... especially since BT specifically forbids business use of residential lines in their T&Cs.  If you start complaining too loudly about losing business when you've got a residential line, they could quite rightly terminate your contract and reject any claim for damages.

0 Ratings
Alexmwangi
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Just been court today. For over 2 yrs BT were deducting money from my account for direct debit, despite a broadband upgrade. Refusedto pay bills until I got a refund. They disconnected me, and of course got into financial loses and inconveniences. Lost the case because the Judge supported BTs argument that I had a domestic line. I plan to appeal, but the corporate giants seem to always win!
0 Ratings
Alexmwangi
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Used to have dial up, then upgraded to broadband. However, BT kept charging for both. Watch your statements regularly mates!
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@Alexmwangi wrote:
 I plan to appeal, but the corporate giants seem to always win!

With out knowing all the in's and out's of the case difficult to say but maybe they won because they were right.

duncan10
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Alex. Your post should be framed and permanently posted here for for all those that come on like tigers saying I need it for my business but are only paying for a Residential line and havent much to say afterwards. One guy came on here 2 weeks ago saying he had 5 vans with the telephone number on their sides and he was losing business---with a Residential  Line. In cases like this I am 100% behind BT.

hippey
Expert
Message 9 of 10

Very true. If you need a phone line / broadband for business then you really should be using a business grade service. There is no reason why a residential property can't have a residential line and a business line this provides the most sensible and reliable option as well as keeping those calls separate.

The occasional use of a residential line for business purpose is acceptable - for instance those who occasionally work from home and might get the odd call from the office. But when it comes down to loss of earning you have no leg to stand on, as this post proves.
0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 10 of 10

@hippey wrote:

The occasional use of a residential line for business purpose is acceptable - for instance those who occasionally work from home and might get the odd call from the office. But when it comes down to loss of earning you have no leg to stand on, as this post proves.

True. The main reason the T&C ban business use is to protect against claims for damages due to loss of service. Also to protect against excessive use of anytime calls packages.

Oliver.
0 Ratings