cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 1 of 14

BT announce FTTP and FTTC spped upgrades.

BT has now announced that from the spring 2012 BT are starting to upgrade the speeds if the FTTP and FTTC packages.

FTTP will be going up to 300 megabits per second and FTTC will be going up to 80 megabits per second.

Press release here

http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/showarticle.cfm?articleid={7e309437-6929-442f-8f25-cdd388518c64}

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT announce FTTP and FTTC spped upgrades.

Thanks for that deathaxe, been waiting for an announcement. Pity I aint got FTTP.Smiley Sad

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

only had BT Infinity for about a 10 days and already want faster. 80mbit please. That will mean putting us on the 17a profile right?
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

how do you get fttp anyway, don't know anything about it.
is there a list of places that can have it ?
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 14

@prt32 wrote:
how do you get fttp anyway, don't know anything about it.
is there a list of places that can have it ?

Looking at that document.-

Openreach has this week launched its Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) service on a commercial basis. FTTP is where fibre is deployed all the way from a BT exchange directly into a customer’s premises. It is the most technically advanced broadband as it is the only one that is solely based on optical fibre. 

The service, which becomes available in six locations 1 from late October

1 These are Ashford in Middlesex, Bradwell Abbey in Milton Keynes, Highams Park in North London, Chester South, St Austell and York.

-----------------//-----------------

Right here's a question..... Will BT charge extra for the FTTC speed increase?

or will it be like the old ADSL days when BT Upgraded the exchanges to ADSL2 and you benefitted from the free speed improvement.

To be honest I think if it was an extra charge.... being  known on the forum as a bit of a skinflint Smiley Happy

I would stick with my 37Mbps..... And it's option 1!!!!

Which I am very pleased with having been used to <2Mbps for 6 years or so.

Just thought it would serve me right If BT offered Free speed increases to Infinity option 2 customers. 

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

You cant request it, if you get it your very lucky, Its available in some parts of the UK but most people will have FTTC.

FTTC - Fibre to the cabinet 

FTTP - Fibre to the premises 

FTTP basically means that the fibre optic cable goes all the way to your house, so you benefit from a faster connection speed

FTTC menas the fibre cable goes to those green BT cabinets you see dotted around the streets. It then uses a copper line for the last 100 meters or so.

at the moment 95% of people have FTTC and a very lucky few have FTTP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

@PC wrote:

Right here's a question..... Will BT charge extra for the FTTC speed increase?

or will it be like the old ADSL days when BT Upgraded the exchanges to ADSL2 and you benefitted from the free speed improvement.

If they don't charge, I bet it would be a new contract

.... being  known on the forum as a bit of a skinflint Smiley Happy

Well yes, we have to agree with you there

I would stick with my 37Mbps..... And it's option 1!!!!

Which I am very pleased with having been used to <2Mbps for 6 years or so.

Just thought it would serve me right If BT offered Free speed increases to Infinity option 2 customers. 

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

I was wondering, will FTTP be offered, mainly to people who can't benefit from FTTC? For instance, I am directly connected to the exchange, so can't have FTTC, I don't want to be stuck on ADSL2+ forever.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

What concerns me, as someone whose cab is supposed to be going 100% FTTP, is whether I will be expected to pay a premium for a faster service that I don't really need but will have no choice but to have. I've seen mention of a range of speed options being offered for FTTP. I hope I can get a lower speed for something comparable to FTTC (all assuming the roll-out doesn't change, of course).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 14

@xreyuk wrote:

I was wondering, will FTTP be offered, mainly to people who can't benefit from FTTC? For instance, I am directly connected to the exchange, so can't have FTTC, I don't want to be stuck on ADSL2+ forever.

Hi xreyuk.

FTTP will only be offered in certain areas for the time being, it won't be offered to you "because you cannot get FTTC"

Being directly connected to the exchange did have speed advantages for many people and if it was 21CN enabled a speed of 20Mb is someones Total Broadband with fibre option 3.

At the moment its swings and roundabouts..

You say you don't want to be stuck on ADSL2+ forever, well with todays technology forever can be a couple of months. Things change so fast.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings