cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noppanit
Message 1 of 12

BT broadband disconnecting, modem change?

I know a lot of people have this problem, that the internet is down, the wireless also disconnecting and all blue light at the modem. So, I have to push the reset button at the modem to get the Internet up again. I was wondering, now I'm using BT home hub 2.0, if I change the modem to something else, would that help the problem and which brand should I be looking for? 

Thanks a lot. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT broadband disconnecting, modem change?

please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
noppanit
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the fast reply, for the speed test, I get an ok speed, actually sometime it's very fast, but the Internet keeps cutting, that's what really annoying. I will post the stat when I get home today.

And one more question is what is NTE5 master or test socket. How do I know that? Thanks very much.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

an NTE5 is a master socket  master socket.jpg    it is the first socket in your home after the BT wires enter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
noppanit
Message 5 of 12

This is my ADSL Stat

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)10.9 dB / 6.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)22.5 dB / 11.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.2 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)244 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)2 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 9
Error Seconds (Local)1

And I think my telephone doesn't connect to the NTE5 directely. It has some kind of a box before NTE5, which BT engineer installed it. I hope this would resolve my problem otherwise I'm really considering buying a new router. I also just had the issue before I could post this reply (really frustrating). 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

can you please post the missing connection speed and connection time

0 Ratings
noppanit
Message 7 of 12

And I just thought of something, I think may be the problem is not the Internet, because I got all blue lights. Is it possible that the problem is with the wireless and wired connection, because when I cannot use the Internet it means that I cannot connect to the Router through wireless or wired as well. It shows "Connection timeout" error.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

you should normally have a good connection with an ethernet connection.  if your internet is dropping connection and the lights go out then could be a noise problem

0 Ratings
noppanit
Message 9 of 12

When the Internet is dropping, I couldn't even connect to the router with ethernet connection. And the lights are all blue. Could be the router problem?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

if you have another router or can borrow one then you could try that and see if you still get the same problem

0 Ratings