Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

BT broadband usage monitor V Windows 10 user broadband monitor

PLEASE BEWARE !

"Windows 10 usage monitor versus BT usage monitor"

If you are upgrading to Windows 10 and want to take advantage of the Windows cloud offer of uploading up to 50 GB of data.. Which of course is very welcome news but.. If you are on BT schemes which rely on a monthly data allowance will soon gobble up as I have found to my misfortune a great chunk of your 40 GB When uploading.

Windows 10 also has a monitor which is easily accessible (compared to the BT which not easy to find) therefore I used This I used to base my broadband usage and gives a totally different usage compared to BT, I'm not here to say which one is correct but there is a conflict.

So the best way is to switch to Wi-Fi BT fon to do all your major uploads as this has no effect on the allowance, (if you are able to do so) and also if you are getting near to your limit… which incidentally when I phoned BT and mentioned in the last 10 years or so I have been on less than half with allowances , and would they just forget this month and waive the excess once in a lifeetime ? no of course not if I went slightly over they said absolutely no.. This is a typical statement from a large corporate company which makes millions and has absolutely no loyalty at all for its customers or flexabilty ..

Also why is the BT broadband usage monitor so well hidden in the “my BT page” something as important as that should be right at the front page of "My BT" and easy to access at any time,  .

Apart from a reminder when it's nearly  too late the idea is I expect hoping people will forget & go over their limit with extra revenue for BT.

Is all about profit margins and nothing about customers.

I'm not sure if this is the correct category in the post as also it seems just as complicated to send any message in the one I wanted

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT broadband usage monitor V Windows 10 user broadband monitor

If you upgrade to unlimited in the same month as your excess usage, BT waive the excess charge.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

All very well, but you would not upgrade to pay extra per month if it was just a one off as in this case  when normally you are using less than half ..surely?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

If there is a very large excess charge, it would make sense, as the cost of upgrading could easily cover that cost over the rest of the contract, and you would not have to worry about using too much again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Why would you not expect uploading to Microsoft's "Windows Cloud" not to impact on your data limit. It has nothing to do with BT so of course anything you upload to it will count towards your data usage.

If you have any other devices using your Internet connection, such as smart phone or tablets, their usage will not be recorded on the Windows 10 monitor as it only records the usage of the device it is on.

As far as I am aware the Windows 10 usage monitor only records the usage by apps on the device and not "Windows updates". 

As you are a Windows 10 user, make sure that you have turned off Peer to Peer Windows updates. If you do not do that, Microsoft will use your computer and broadband connection to distribute Windows updates to other Windows users.

This will of course impact on your usage.

See link how to do that.

http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-uses-your-bandwidth-to-distribute-updates-d-1721091469

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Again unfortunately the point has been lost, I'm fully aware of the data that I use, it is how it is recorded is put into question.

BT usage monitor is supposed to be accurate... But on Windows 10 varies also a record of what data you use as well which is giving a completely different reading.

I'm also making the point of the flexibility of BT, when you have been with BT 10 years and not used half of your allowance you think there will be a bit of flexibility when you go over for one month out of those 10 years ..with the company ,obviously not.

Again the other point which nobody has commented on is why BT monitor is not very accessible, it should be right on the front of the my BT page.

Why isn't it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Unfortunately you are ignoring the point I'm making, again this is a one-off after 10 years where I could be going over the limit, and what I am saying is BT needs to be a bit more flexible for their long serving customers when it is a one off .. please see my previous message.

I've also raised the point the conflict between the usage monitor on BT and the usage monitor on Windows 10 which are very different.

And also why is the BT monitor not right on the front of my BT page and not hidden away ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

the usage monitor shows 24 hours in arrears the windows 10 monitor is app usage only on that device not actual usage
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

You would appear to be assuming Windows 10 is the accurate monitor presumably because it recorded less than BT's. I would go with BT's because it is that one that you will be billed against and records all usage not just Wndows usage.

No idea about why the monitor is not on the front page of BT but you know where it is now so you can find it easily from now on.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Actually that is quite patronising answer to suggest that after spending ages trying to find the BT monitor, which is hidden away and then to say "I know where it is next time" then that is hardly the point! What about other customers wanting to do the same?  It is up to BT to put the important information on the first page, not hide it hoping people will not see it and go over their limit, and then send an email just before you are about to go over the limit, gaining extra revenue from the penalty fees.

It has to be one of the worst excuses I've heard.

Regarding the usage I'm not saying one way or another which gives the accurate information, but there is an issue here , for example why is it when I switch off my router and just use Wi-Fi, there is still some megabytes being measured on my allowance?

0 Ratings