Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfenceman
Expert
Message 31 of 41

Re: BT broadband usage scam!

Hi barnpiece,

Looks like the exercise has been interrupted by a resync around 2pm yesterday :-

Connection time:0 days, 17:33:45 
Data Transmitted/Received (GB):0.0 / 0.1
Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 32 of 41

Hi guys,

Maybe the hub stat information is very unreliable, as one of the previous posters suggested, as I suffered another resynch again yesterday resulting in the following :-

Connection time:0 days, 13:15:12 
Data Transmitted/Received (GB):0.0 / 0.0

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 33 of 41

@dfenceman  It shouldn't be doing that; if it continues it would be worth posting it as a problem on the BB Speed/Connection Issues board.

Obviously resynching the hub will reset the data counter. The additional point is that the data counter can also reset without the hub going off. So you need to take regular reading even if the hub is behaving itself. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
stepon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 41

I have a broadband option 2 with 40gb allowance and was thinking of changing it to the unlimited package.My present deal on bt's site is £16.00 to change to unlimited download as my download seems to have increased somewhat I would loose the netscape security which was on my previous deal, so to retain it I would have to go to the higher option £21.00, as they have removed some of the deals. Very sneaky  I'm disgusted at the underhand way they have done this , anyway it isn't going to happen I would rather go elsewhere.

0 Ratings
cbd00
Message 35 of 41

BEWARE - BT Option 1 Broadband Scam 10GB

My parents contract finished last year & have been on a roll on month to month Option 1 plan with 10GB Internet usage.  

They hardly use the Internet, only for the odd Google search / emails.  They do not have game consoles, neither do they have smartphones etc.  

6 months ago BT began sending emails to upgrade to Unlimited Broadband. Coincidently, their Broadband usage JUMPED from under 10GB to 78GB.  

When contacted it was suggested maybe WiFi had been hacked, so changed Password.  BT then stated that as the Password had been changed they were unable to indentify if it had been hacked or not & would not reimburse 5 pounds per GB over usage!  

After 8 hours of calls to customer service, Emails & a formal letter of complaint they have recieved no response from BT apart from extremely high bills / charges.  

It seems that BT are using scam tactics in order to attempt to secure those not in a contract in to Ulimited packages, otherwise pay hefty amounts for basic, slow Internet usage.  

TALKTALK, VIRGIN & alike offer far cheaper packages & unlimited!!!!!!  

Absolutely disgusted with the way in which they have treated them & we will be contacting OFCOM.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 41

Here is a guide to usage, remember that many web pages have embedded videos which play automatically, then can soon swallow up any allowance Smiley Sad

Why is my broadband usage so high?

0 Ratings
Bgclare39
Message 37 of 41

I would like to add my comments about the broadband usage scam. The following is are cord of my usage in November 2013. The timeline is very important.
17/11. 0900. I turned off my router.
I then left home (Kent) and drove to Yorkshire. At 2018 still on the 17th, I received an email to my address, but read it on my son's computer in Yorkshire. The email said that I had used over 8GB of broadband and warned me I might be charged.
I then spent the week in Yorkshire, returning home on the 23rd November. I turned my broadband router back on and received a message stating that my usage was now OVER 10 GB, although the broadband had not been used for a week. This would infer that I had used over 2 GB whilst the router was turned off.
I contacted BT by phone and eventually spoke to a lady with an Indian accent, who confirmed that she could see there had BEEN NO BROADBAND USAGE FROM 17th to 23rd November. Thus the person who suggests on this forum that the usage maybe occurs between the time when it is read (normally 2359 each day) and when I turned off my router implies that I must have used over 2 GB whilst I was in bed! It seems odd to me that the customer has to accept BT's meter reading, with no independent means of checking. After all, with my energy bill, I can check my own meter reading. With broadband, I am at the mercy of BT. Also, if the warning message that I had exceeded 8GB, was incorrect, it is totally pointless.
This whole business leaves me feeling that I do not trust BT. I am regretting leaving AOL.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
markgraham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 41

You might want to see this other thread - a few of us have had similar issues during January with varying degrees of success in getting it sorted out.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Re-Broadband-usage-exceeding-monthly-limit/m-p/1134656#U1...

0 Ratings
PCT
Contributor
Message 39 of 41

Before leaving BT in a rush I suggest waiting a short while.  It does appear to be an issue but is now recognised and being investigated within BT and Ofcom have an open case. 

There is a lot of individual confusion within BT but it is being addressed and hopefully will be clearer soon.

Anyone with incorrect broadband usage values that uses BT Vision should review the other thread mentioned.  Check your hub stats but if its switched off then I think you have your answer.  I heard one other story of someone with the hub off getting their usage increased.  This must be a further issue as the issue I have been involved in requires BT Vision in the equation so the hub has been turned on.  Perhaps the issue is even bigger then first thought.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 40 of 41

@Bgclare39 wrote:
I would like to add my comments about the broadband usage scam. The following is are cord of my usage in November 2013. The timeline is very important.
17/11. 0900. I turned off my router.
I then left home (Kent) and drove to Yorkshire. At 2018 still on the 17th, I received an email to my address, but read it on my son's computer in Yorkshire. The email said that I had used over 8GB of broadband and warned me I might be charged.
I then spent the week in Yorkshire, returning home on the 23rd November. I turned my broadband router back on and received a message stating that my usage was now OVER 10 GB, although the broadband had not been used for a week. This would infer that I had used over 2 GB whilst the router was turned off.
I contacted BT by phone and eventually spoke to a lady with an Indian accent, who confirmed that she could see there had BEEN NO BROADBAND USAGE FROM 17th to 23rd November. Thus the person who suggests on this forum that the usage maybe occurs between the time when it is read (normally 2359 each day) and when I turned off my router implies that I must have used over 2 GB whilst I was in bed! It seems odd to me that the customer has to accept BT's meter reading, with no independent means of checking. After all, with my energy bill, I can check my own meter reading. With broadband, I am at the mercy of BT. Also, if the warning message that I had exceeded 8GB, was incorrect, it is totally pointless.
This whole business leaves me feeling that I do not trust BT. I am regretting leaving AOL.

Bgclare39,

This is an old thread. I strongly recommend that you raise a new one as you are more likely to get your issue addressed.

0 Ratings