Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT capped my line.............WHY ?

BT Broadband Capped ........why ?

I have been with BT for many years, from dial-up to Broadband. At present I'm on BT Broadband Option 3 Unlimited. I've never had a problem until now.

My BT exchange (Sacriston) supports ADSL 8mbs. That I live 0.4 kms from the exchange. The BT HUB is connected to the master socket, so no extensions. So I've always had an excellent connection.

Several days ago, my Internet Connection dropped from 6 or 7 mbs to 1.8 mbs. After doing all the tests and contacting BT, BT said that all the line tests were okay, but they admitted my line was capped at 2mbs.

I never download, my monthly usage averages 10 -14 gbs per month.

So why has it been capped ? Also how can i get it uncapped ?
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT capped my line.............WHY ?

It may be that there is now some noise on the line that wasn't there before... BT's line tests do not necessarily pick this up.

Have a look at your ADSL connection stats on your BT hub and post them here.

Run the speed test at http://speedtester.bt.com/ and post the results - this will give your IP Profile.

Do the quiet line test (with a wired phone on the master socket) dial 17070 option 2 and report a fault (don't mention Broadband) on 151 if you can hear anything at all.

Tags (2)
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Fault with your line possibly? You will have to look at your home hub statistics to see what is going on.

If you look at other posts on this forum, you will find how to do this.

A large number of errors or disconnections will force to into a banded profile, with a lower speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

My BT Hub

Broadband Connection Details:

Downstream: 5,120 kbps
Upstream: 448 kbps
Results of Speed test are as follows :

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1797 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :5120 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) are you connected to the NTE5 master or test socket or somewhere else?

Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

it looks like you have had reset/disconnection problems which have resulted in your speed dropping and the knock on effect is your profile drops.  You are not capped from what you have posted

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

My BT Hub Settings.....

Uptime: 0 days, 0:40:21
Modulation: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,472
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.01 / 13.38
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 23.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 17.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 6 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,603
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 80
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 74

All line tests were ok.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

your connection time is only 40mins - have you been resetting the hib or has it been resetting on it's own? Your noise margin is high at 17 as normal about 6 which is also suggesting disconnection problems.

Do you have any telephone extension sockets in your home as I am not sure what you mean by extensions - like phone extension cable or pwoer extension.

your profile is low due to your disconnections and is not capped

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings