cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunaintstable
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 63

BT capping peoples download speed

I have had two engineers out this week to remove a cap on my download speed.. i get a normal download speed of 38mb and now after the cap i get 23mb download speed, both engineers confirmed the cap after testing my line quality.. both engineers stated that my line quality was great with no faults.. both engineers confirming that my line is capable of a 55mb download speed.. before the engineers left they assured me that it had written down in their notes and to expect the cap to be lifted within 24 hours.. on both occasions the cap was not lifted.. really getting the feeling that BT ARE JUST BEING DISHONEST WITH THEIR CUSTOMERS!!       

0 Ratings
62 REPLIES 62
sunaintstable
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 63

Re: BT capping peoples download speed

just to add.. BT tried this on around 6 months ago.. they capped me from 38mb down to 13mb.. the engineer that came out on that occasion made a quick phone call and I was back up to full speed within 5 mins.. the upshot of all this is.. will you be lucky enough to get an honest engineer that will go that extra distance for you!  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 63

your speed will have been reduced by a reduced IP Profile caused by random noise issue which will have caused the DLM to stabilise your line at a lower street it is not deliberate capping as BT do not cap connections if the connection is left alone speed will rise again automatically within about 10 days providing the line noise reduces
0 Ratings
sunaintstable
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 63

well john, the engineers checked the noise issues.. line quality and so on.. and could not find anything.. so they called the infinity division and on both occasions the infinity team confirmed that there had been a cap placed on my line and could not offer an explanation for this.. both engineers wrote it down in their notes with a recommendation that my line be reset (snr) my line is still to be reset!!  as I said earlier BT had done this before around 6 months ago.. the engineer on that occasion sorted it out immediately with a quick phone call.. which by the way he told me he wasn't supposed to do as it was not the normal policy.. I thank that engineer for running that extra mile on my behalf.. he seems to be a rare diamond in the rough.. again I will add the fact that both of the engineers that turned up this past week have both stated that my line is capable of a 55mb download speed and were dismayed to why its been capped down to 23mb. just to add.. i lived overseas for 12 years, the internet was perfect.. pure fiber all the way into peoples homes at no cost to the customer.. you could unplug your modem and hub as often as you wanted and the speed never decreased.. a great service.. unfortunately BT the UK's flagship service provider pale in comparison as that kind of service would probably lower BT's profit margins!! im an infinity option 2 user and there are many other people on the same package as me with exactly the same problems.. not a coincidence I think!! BT need to follow the understanding that there is nothing wrong with the money we give them.. so there should be nothing wrong with the service.. like the great service I had in the far east.

0 Ratings
MBR123
Expert
Message 5 of 63

BT do not cap mate, it will be your line noise which effects your modem with the DLM that reduces your speed to stabilise your throughput, if you leave all your equipment alone it will increase in time, no need for a BT engineer to come out. John is absolute correct. For the engineer to come out to take off your cap as you put it, is complete rubbish.

Please click on white star to the left and say thanks if I have helped you at all!. 🙂 Thank you. Some handy links Copy & Paste:-
http://bthomehub.home/
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed
0 Ratings
sunaintstable
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 63

let me clarify.. I'm not suggesting that there are people working for BT sat there with a grin on their faces capping customers line speeds.. what I am saying is that the system they use that causes the lines to be capped is a ridicules and unnecessary one.. so as BT  use this system it is BT that cap!!  as i lived in a country for 12 years that had a very different system that worked perfectly for the customer.. its a fact that 6 months ago the engineer made a call and had my line speed restored and not rubbish as you stated.. and I will say for the last time that both engineers that came to my property this past week both stated that there were no noise issues.. understand??? 

0 Ratings
Wigglet
Contributor
Message 7 of 63

From a previous provider...

"I've heard back from BT, essentially there was a 40mb cap in the exchange from when you were on the 40mb service. 

Openreach weren't aware this cap existed or how to check it, but obviously they now are.

What this means is that it is a permanent fix - and should it happen again to anyone else, I know exactly what to ask for to get it fixed much quicker.

I apologise for the delay in getting this issue resolved for you, much of it arose from the fact that BT only class it as a fault if it's below 12mb in speed. As such it was very difficult to get them to acknowledge to problem and look into it."

So one upon a time I did have a cap but possibly not the sort you're talking about?

0 Ratings
sunaintstable
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 63

I would like to add one more thing, I have no intention of changing providers because BT's competitors (if you can call them that) employ the same ridicules system.. as the same complaints are to be found no matter which provider is used. The point of my posts are to just simply highlight my experience.. Dear BT.. please give me back my line speed so I can be a happy customer.. as all of us would feel aggrieved if we paid for a king sized candy bar and  instead were given a fun sized candy bar in return.. as we all know the store that did that would quickly run out of business.. come on BT.. be the flagship provider you are supposed to be!! 🙂

0 Ratings
sunaintstable
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 63

Its the local exchange that capped my speed down to 23mb so the engineers said after their conversation with the infinity team even though after a line check they could not understand why as the line was fine.. no faults.. no noise.. the engineers told me that the line is capable of a 55mb download speed and though 55 would be very welcome I just want my 38mb download speed back.. Im aware that my local exchange is capped at 40 and that does not bother me as the 38 i got was just fine for my needs.. I could even accept a cap at 32.. though i will complain if it falls below that.. im not sure if our problem is the same or not.

0 Ratings
Storm
Expert
Message 10 of 63

This could explain why on two occassions over the last two weeks I've seen my speed hit a wall at 23Mbps which after rebooting my modem went back to over 33Mbps and until today when I rebooted my modem it was hitting a wall at exactly 29.07Mbps.

On both occassions my ip profile was set at over 35Mbps.

Rebooting the modem today also dropped my ip profile instantly but my speed immediately went back to over 33Mbps.

0 Ratings