cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John72384
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT connecting through a proxy for just one site.

I my IP keeps changing to random proxy IPs every couple minutes.

Some of these IPs are connecting through "proxy.sspi.bt.net"  

This is only happening for one site, reddit.com, everywhere else my IP is normal.

Any help would be great, thanks.

P.s. I checked and these are all official BT IPs, so I'm not infected with Malware or anything, I've also checked my connection settings and made sure nothing is set to use a proxy.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT connecting through a proxy for just one site.

BT like most ISPs use transparent proxying for some traffic. Is this what it is?

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

Where are you seeing these addresses? Is it the address that reddit.com is reporting as your IP address?

These addresses are part of range allocated to BT and possibly those assigned by DHCP as the external IP address of your router. An address is assigned, usually different, each time your router reconnects. Are you seeing a lot of disconnects?

Regards

0 Ratings
John72384
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Yes reddit.com is saying these are my IPs, which they are not, when I go to google or any other site that tells me my IP it gives me different results, currently 81.156.237.*** is my real IP, but this one site is still reporting me connecting via a BT proxy.  

Is it normal for BT to be running me though a proxy to connect to just one site?

I've tried connecting to reddit via different devices and different browsers, but still the same issue.  
I also tried connecting via a VPN to see if they were just reporting wrong, but they were reporting the correct information.

0 Ratings
John72384
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

I should mention, when I said "different results" I mean different from this one site, every other site is giving the exact same result which is 81.156.237.***

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Check to see whether your IP address is being sharad.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44044/c/6433

John72384
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Just checked, it says it is not shared.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 8 of 11

Large sites sometimes work with larger isps and deploy a local proxy to cache content I belive netflix does this a lot amongst others. The other possibility is the site in question is using cloud based ddos protection. Again often there are local machines in isp networks to clean the traffic before it reaches the target. The traffic is proxies and deep scanned for malicious traffic. Likely to be the latter for reddit. Either that or there is some filtering of reddit for legal reasons, again a strong possibility.

0 Ratings
aoxm84
Expert
Message 9 of 11

My own Reddit IP activity log shows my own IP address, not proxies.

Reddit is however proxied by Cloudflare, so this may have something to do with what you are seeing.

0 Ratings
John72384
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

But if were proxied by cloudflare wouldn't it show cloudflare IPs and not BT ones?

0 Ratings