cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dignity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 33

BT don't seem to have a clue, maybe some of you do.

Right it’s a strange one, every night without fail my internet will either go completely off or be on and off with below 5mb speeds. This happens between 7pm-1am, during the day its brilliant, 37mb up and 8mb down constant speed. I had infinity install on Tuesday and this has happened since, BT engineer came yesterday and replaced my Hub and Modem, still the same problem, BT seem to think its my problem. Just got off the phone to them to which they said they just did a 'Comprehensive' test on the line and it was fine, when I speed tested it i was getting 38kbs down and 2kbs up? How is that fine? BT engineer is coming out again tomorrow; maybe they should start looking elsewhere other than in my house (cabinet, exchange)

Thanks

Anthony

32 REPLIES 32
blooty
Contributor
Message 2 of 33

Re: BT don't seem to have a clue, maybe some of you do.

Which exchange do you connect to Anthony?
If i've given you a helpful answer please rate me by clicking the rating star to the left 😄
BT Total Broadband Option 4 - London - Pimlico Exchange
w8wopa
Beginner
Message 3 of 33

i know that dig is on the fernhill heath exchange worcester

0 Ratings
blooty
Contributor
Message 4 of 33

Sounded like a VLAN over utilisation problem, but i've just checked and it's not.. let us know how the engineer visit goes. There's definitely more things to check
If i've given you a helpful answer please rate me by clicking the rating star to the left 😄
LeeP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 33

VLAN over utilisation? How you figure that one out ... ?!

Does the modem DSL interface go down?

Do ping tests fail?

Sounds more like rate limiting to me...or contention!

Statics FTW
0 Ratings
blooty
Contributor
Message 6 of 33

So contention isn't increased if the backhaul VLAN is over utilised?
0 Ratings
LeeP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 33

I would suspect the VLAN / uplinks have more bandwidth than the allocated user CDR at present. I would suspect (but don't fully know the platform yet) that the service would affect multiple users (if you uplinks were congested) and not just 1.

I would hope that BT would have a policy set to guarantee the bare minimum throughput under high loads. If the connection is dying, and it's PPPOE failing, then the issue is more local.
Statics FTW
0 Ratings
blooty
Contributor
Message 8 of 33

You would think that would be the case but it's all done on average use, this method works extremely well but there is the odd occasion where a vlan is missed from being upgraded.

Anthony's the only one who has reported it on this forum, doesn't mean there aren't others with the same issue..

Anyway it's not, so will be interesting to see what engineer comes back with tomorrow
0 Ratings
jmcquay
Message 9 of 33

This sounds like a potential REIN issue.  Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise.

Faulty electrical equipment can give off interferance that can cause DSL to slow down, or drop out of sync altogether.  From 7pm to 1am...sounds like the kind of time someone would have heating on, so that could be an area of investigation.

VDSL is much more sensitive to noise than ADSL, so there's every possibility you didn't notice it before.

You can try to localise REIN by turning an AM radio to 612kHz and havng a wander around.  It's hard to describe the sound, but when you hear it, you'll know it...if that makes sense.

A comprehensive line test...hmm, I am not aware there is such a thing.  The test heads in the Telephone exchanges can only measure basic electrical properties; voltage, resistance and capacitance.  Only if there was something majorly wrong, would the test heads pick it up.  Your line wouldn't be working at all if they pick up a fault.

0 Ratings
dignity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Thanks for the input guys, yes i am on the fernhill heath exchange, Worcester. Its 5.15 and it looks like its going to be another no show from the engineer, not the first time. About the heating interfering, it could be that but our heating comes on at 4pm, seems strange it would take till 8pm to affect it, might still be worth looking into and mentioning to the engineer tho. 

Thanks 

Anthony

0 Ratings