cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 53

Re: BT dropping minimum guaranteed speed half way through contract.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I have unplugged the powerline plugs as a test. Will try and update this post in a week or two and let you know if the IP profile increases at all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 53

The best test of all is to connect your kit to the test socket by removing the faceplate from your master socket. This will rule out all internal telephone wiring, which is usually the number 1 culprit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 53

Ok so I think I will go your route first, I have taken off the faceplate and connected a micro filter to the test socket, got the telephone and home hub plugged into it. I have left the powerline plugs turned on and connected.

Strangely I just did the BTW performance test and the IP Profile has gone up by 1mb. I will keep checking over the next week or so and write back.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 53

@scottrc wrote:

Strangely I just did the BTW performance test and the IP Profile has gone up by 1mb. I will keep checking over the next week or so and write back.

The downstream IP profile is a set percentage of the downstream connection speed (stats line 6 data rate).

If you re-connect it can connect at a slightly different speed depending on the noise at that time of day and wiring set up.

Check the connection speeds (data rates) in the HomeHub stats. As I mentioned before, those are what any estimates and guarantees are actually referring to. They also only relate to the connection speeds at the test socket as BT don't have any control over home extensions.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 53

@umpire wrote:
They also only relate to the connection speeds at the test socket as BT don't have any control over home extensions.

... and strictly speaking according to others who have posted before, the BT Wholesale estimates are actually for the connection speed at the distribution point (such as the pole your house is connected to). That suggests that if you have a very long and/or dodgy cable from the distribution point to your house then the estimates might be way out.

However, the fact that you originally got much faster speeds implies this is not a factor for your line?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 53

@umpire wrote:

... and strictly speaking according to others who have posted before, the BT Wholesale estimates are actually for the connection speed at the distribution point (such as the pole your house is connected to).  

I certainly wouldn't suggest trying to place your HomeHub on the top of the telegrapgh pole. Smiley LOL

The wireless signal would be rubbish in your house!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 17 of 53

haha, yeah we had 80-85mb when it was first installed and I guess over the last year it has just been going down and down. Could be because more people in the street now have fiber or could be a fault/dodgy wires. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 53

Could anyone let me know if the below result means something different? I only ask because at the bottom it says "The test result has indicated that you should contact your ISP for further assistance." does this mean there is an actual fault on the line? It's weird that it has the range of speed backwards like 60 Mbps-60.31 Mbps . and the line is red.

Untitled.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 53

I suspect that's just a bug with the speedtester. It should not be indicating RED at those speeds.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 53

The range is shown the nornal way round in that last test (low - high).

It seems that the system has a target low (the first figure) that I assume is based on either estimates or previous actuals for the line. If the IP profile drops below this low then the range is listed back to front (low - even lower).

I think the red colour is because the actual download speed achieved is below this low figure (60Mbps in your last example case).

Note that this situation is often seen with a low that's a round number such as 20, 40 or 60. This implies some sort of classification of the line into a band with a minimum low is happening in certain circumstances?
0 Ratings