cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 21 of 53

Re: BT dropping minimum guaranteed speed half way through contract.

Thanks for the replies, it makes sense now. 

I saw this link http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9760/~/what-is-my-broadband-ip-profile-and-why-is-it-... which says that after 3 days of stable connection, the exchange will return the IP profile to it's pre-fault rate.

The hub is still connected to the test socket, so hopefully I will find out in the next day or so if it's me or them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 53

Note though that this low figure doesn't seem to be from the connection speed band that is being applied to the line. It would have been useful if it was a way of identifying the current connection speed band, but unfortunately it doesn't tie up from the evidence I've seen on this forum.

How is this speedtest low figure calculated? Yet another detail that BT Wholesale choose not to reveal to customers.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 23 of 53

As mentioned earlier the IP profile is a set percentage of your downstream connection speed. That will only change if a reconnection takes place. The DLM can change certain parameters, such as connection speed band or target noise margin, that will influence the connection speed selected at re-connection time. If yours are currently set at the default levels then it's unlikely that much will change.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 53

Check the HomeHub Troubleshooting > Event Log > WAN category.

Post the entry that shows the connection speeds and SNR margins at the time of the last re-connection in the test socket.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 25 of 53

Do you think there is a chance there was a fault in the past which caused it to drop so much, and now the fault is fixed but the IP Profile/DLM got stuck or something? I don't know if it is possible to get stuck.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 53

If you post the log entry it will show the downstream connection speed. We can then verify that the downstream IP profile is as expected for that connection speed.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 27 of 53

I think that was these two figures from the first page:

Data rate:19890 / 61908
Maximum data rate:24737 / 62830

Which seems to be correct then

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 53

If you look in the event log as I suggested it will have an entry with an exact time stamp, connection speeds, and also the SNR margins (noise margins) used at connection time.
The connection speeds on that log entry should match those that you listed from the stats page if it was after the most recent re-connection.

It would be useful to see those connection time noise margins.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 29 of 53

Your current downstream IP profile of 60.31Mbps implies a more recent re-connection has taken place with a connection speed over 62Mbps.
The event log WAN entries should show this.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 30 of 53

Sorry, I mis-read your last post. These are the only entries in the WAN section for reconnects before the log stops.

13:47:01, 11 Feb. (92382.000000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=62327000Kbps, Up Rate=19671000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.5dB, Up=6.0dB

12:28:00, 10 Feb. ( 1241.280000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=62307000Kbps, Up Rate=19876000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.5dB, Up=5.8dB

17:34:34, 02 Feb. ( 1859.690000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=61908000Kbps, Up Rate=19890000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.6dB, Up=5.8dB

I changed to the test socket on the 10th and on the 11th I pressed disconnect/connect link in the homehub admin panel.

Todays other data:

6. Data rate:19671 / 62327
7. Maximum data rate:24608 / 62449
8. Noise margin:6.1 / 6.5
9. Line attenuation:15.5 / 13.6
10. Signal attenuation:15.6 / 13.7

I just don't understand why, if the noise margin is optimal, then why am I at the lower end of the impacted line. Would a impacted line not have a higher noise margin? Thanks again

original.png

Also the IP Profile now says:

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 60 Mbps-60.33 Mbps
 IP Profile for your line is - 60.33 Mbps

So again it has gone up a tiny bit.

0 Ratings