Re: BT email accounts hacked

Frankly it's a shambles and scandalous.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 942 of 990

@chadders wrote:

This afternoon I have received yet another email from BT. Same as before, I do not know who robert beedie is, I have no idea why I am being assosciated with him and or his account and I have not recently chaged my password on my owm account. I'm getting mightily ticked off about this, there seems no end to it!

Input anybody?

See below: I have subtly changed the actual email addresses.

From: BT Yahoo! My Account Services <my-yahoo-register@cc.yahoo-inc.com>
Subject: Password changed
Date: 27 November 2013 13:02:57 GMT

Email address: 

Your password for this account has recently been changed. You don't 
need to do anything, this message is simply a notification to protect 
the security of your account.  

Please note: your new password may take awhile to activate. If it 
doesn't work on your first try, please try it again later. 

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.

You can always change your password by doing the following:

1. Sign in to your cobranded service
2. Go to My Account 
3. Choose "Change Password"

This seems like Robert has somehow managed to associate your email address with his, and hence any changes he makes also sends an email to you. He could have forgotten to add a period "." to the email address or the reverse.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 943 of 990

Andy.

I'm not entirely sure I follow what you are getting at there. I just don't understand how someone I don't know could possibly assosciate his email address with mine?

More to the point what do i do? What implications does it have?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 944 of 990

Chadders,

The moderators have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this post.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 945 of 990

Hi chadders,

I'm really sorry about this, it sounds like someone has entered your email address incorrectly as a contact for their BT Yahoo services. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details and we'll be happy to help you with this. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 946 of 990

Thanks Neil, I've sent you the details.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 947 of 990

@chadders wrote:

Andy.

I'm not entirely sure I follow what you are getting at there. I just don't understand how someone I don't know could possibly assosciate his email address with mine?

More to the point what do i do? What implications does it have?

As per the post from Neil.

It's the other way around, he may have associated your address with his.

People make mistakes in email addresses all the time - I've had numerous over the years.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 948 of 990

I have a problem that seems related to this thread - every week or so, I'll get 'failed email' messages from Yahoo's mailer daemon. The problem is, I didn't send the emails which apparently failed. I think I've successfully eliminated the possibility of a trojan or such-like being on my computer, as this continued even when I did a full reformat and reinstall of Windows before changing my password, despite three different antivirus programs finding nothing, so this only really leaves two possibilities:

1) BT/Yahoo's system is being hacked further up the line.

2) Someone is spoofing my email address, so they're sending the emails from a different email address, but I'm getting the mailer daemon messages every time an email fails to get delivered.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 949 of 990

According to all the technical /computer/ and news sites I visit  your no 1 is correct . I am not saying no. 2 is wrong just that yahoo has a lot of"breaches" at present, as they put it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 950 of 990

Here we go again!

Just received a very "official" looking email from bt.comms@bt.com. Subject is EMAIL UPGRADE.

This tells me that my email is being upgraded from BT Yahoo Mail and I will not be able to access my email after 31st December if I do not follow the link in the email to upgrade.

Sounds phishy to me but as I said much earlier in here just how the hell do I know if it's genuine. Floating my cursor over the from address reveals nothing.

I received a similar email several weeks ago which I didn't follow and I had my account locked then hacked. This has all been documented in the last several pages, but here we go again!

0 Ratings