Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 791 of 990

Re: BT email accounts hacked

@DS wrote:

@srm9861 wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@bigjohn88 wrote:

my bt e-mail was hacked today and an e mail is being sent to every address in my contact list

what should I do?

do i have to close down this address?

No, just follow the instructions given on the link within the last post.

Months onwards - people are still being subjected to Yahoo security flaws that BT are responsible for. This really is totally unacceptable and the sooner that I get migrated to Critical Path the better.

I have given up on complaining to BT as they never reply. A dreadful untrustworthy company that I have worked for previously and feel quite ashamed to say that I have worked for them after seeing this continued deluge of complaints.

The migration is to go via a trial first to iron out any issues and then we'll see some movement.

Regarding the lack of clarification - I'd say that BT and Yahoo can't discuss this in public until the guilty party/parties have been rounded up.

If they still remain quiet, our only hope of finding out just what happened is via Geoff White at Channel 4.

I hope that you are correct that Yahoo & BT have a handle on the weakness in their system and are pursuing the culprits. But, judging by the continuing reports of hacking in this forum, said culprits don't seem that worried and remain active!

Michael
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 792 of 990

@Brighton_Rock wrote:
I hope that you are correct that Yahoo & BT have a handle on the weakness in their system and are pursuing the culprits. But, judging by the continuing reports of hacking in this forum, said culprits don't seem that worried and remain active!

As we don't know when this breach actually occurred, plus some victims have not used their accounts in years, I would have to say that it's likely that a list is doing it's rounds and this will be an ongoing occurrence until this list has ran it's course.

The lack of recent updates is frankly appalling (IMHO) - Plus not sure why Ch4 news keep saying they'll be reporting about this and then it goes quiet. Possibly they're being told to remain quiet until the investigation is complete?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 793 of 990

I've not been hacked, although did thoroughly check when the news first broke.

Don't use my bt email account for anything. Not even 3 hours after getting the address, before I'd even sent a test email to it we were getting spam through, so don't trust it too much

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 794 of 990

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 795 of 990

From the above link

BT acknowledged that some of its customers had been affected by an attack in recent weeks and blamed the problems on Yahoo. It advised users who suspected their accounts had been compromised to visit its security help page. "We’re aware that some BT Yahoo customers have experienced some unusual activity on their email accounts in recent weeks," said the firm in a statement.

"We’re providing assistance and information to Yahoo to investigate the issue, including passing on customer feedback. As part of Yahoo's normal security processes, users are prompted to change their passwords automatically if they detect any suspicious activity."

"We’re monitoring the service and speaking to customers directly to resolve any issues," the company added.

So how's about a statement on this very long (and never to end?) thread with a what happened and officially who was to blame. I can see BT HAVE blamed Yahoo!, but seeing something in black and white on here would be nice.

One of my friends, that doesn't use online forums, has not used their BTYahoo account since they were hacked. I have passed on the info other customers have posted and they have changed their details accordingly, but they are still reluctant to use their account until such time they know it's safe to use. I did ask them to register for these forums, but they do not wish to do so or even speak with BT's reps. Should an update be made, I'll let them know.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 796 of 990

@DS wrote:

From the above link

BT acknowledged that some of its customers had been affected by an attack in recent weeks and blamed the problems on Yahoo. It advised users who suspected their accounts had been compromised to visit its security help page. "We’re aware that some BT Yahoo customers have experienced some unusual activity on their email accounts in recent weeks," said the firm in a statement.

"We’re providing assistance and information to Yahoo to investigate the issue, including passing on customer feedback. As part of Yahoo's normal security processes, users are prompted to change their passwords automatically if they detect any suspicious activity."

"We’re monitoring the service and speaking to customers directly to resolve any issues," the company added.

So how's about a statement on this very long (and never to end?) thread with a what happened and officially who was to blame. I can see BT HAVE blamed Yahoo!, but seeing something in black and white on here would be nice.

One of my friends, that doesn't use online forums, has not used their BTYahoo account since they were hacked. I have passed on the info other customers have posted and they have changed their details accordingly, but they are still reluctant to use their account until such time they know it's safe to use. I did ask them to register for these forums, but they do not wish to do so or even speak with BT's reps. Should an update be made, I'll let them know.

Same with me, I know of 2 people who had the problem last week, both of them do not use the forum, also they did not realise that they should change passwords etc.

Is it not to much to ask BT to send a e mail to all of their customers advising what they should do if they have a problem?

I receive a great deal of BT advertising e mails so it must be possible, why are they so backward in coming forward?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 797 of 990

Another btinternet.com friend's account hacked and email sent to my partner - familiar pattern - 4 chosen from address book - looks like in close proximity alphabetically.

Subject "SALUTATIONS"

part of body text:

<a href=3D"h++p://blog.arabulucu.com/wp-content/themes/toolbox/facebook.php?obab795sygbq=
z.htm">h++p://blog.arabulucu.com/wp-content/themes/toolbox/facebook.php?oba=
b795sygbqz.htm</a>    <br........................<br>=
<br><br><br>FRIENS NAMEn<br>Friends name <br>--------------------<br>Lif=
e is change... that's how it's different from the rocks... -- Airplane<br> =
    <div></div></div></body></html>

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 798 of 990

@Johnoo wrote:

I receive a great deal of BT advertising e mails so it must be possible, why are they so backward in coming forward?

Because they really couldn't care less about customers' security and it is more important to hide the fact that they have been so slack about their being responsible for the security of our accounts?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 799 of 990

My account was hacked last week and I followed the security advice but I have received other "dubious" mail which I have marked as SPAM in the hope that it is nothing important.  I too am now reluctant to use my BT Yahoo account.  As other contributors to this Forum have mentioned, it would have been nice for BT to warn its customers accordingly.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 800 of 990

BT have already engaged another email supplier and will shortly be moving off the yahoo email platform. I'm only guessing here that BT didn't get the answers they wanted from yahoo in terms of what the cause of the problem is and what the fix is. Ultimately these contracts take time to resolve both cancelling the existing contract with yahoo and negotiating a contract with the new supplier, and then there are the real technical issues of how to migrate people across without losing any email and carrying passwords over etc. Assuming this change wasnt already in the works before the security issues came to light, its a rather quick process of moving over to the new supplier believe it or not. My experience of these sorts of contract changes would be that the contract would still be out to tender!

Haters are gonna hate but I don't see how BT could have speeded up the move from Yahoo any quicker than they have. Whilst yes BT are responsible to there customers not only have they already informed the ICO they have additionally already signed a contract with a new email supplier. Whilst I appreciate people would probably want more information on the cause and confirmation that the problem has been fixed BT could only provide what yahoo give them, and its unlikely that yahoo would ever release exact details on how they are being hacked in the fear that others will use that information against them. 

0 Ratings