cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

BT email address / user ID not recognised

I have had the same BT email address for in excess of 10 years now, but this week when accessing through Outlook (as I do daily) I was asked for my password which never happens.  I entered my password but it rejects that.  I have tried resetting my password but when being asked to confirm my email address, I receive an error message saying "Sorry, we do not recognise that email address/user ID."  The same thing has happened to my husband.  We have both had lengthy telephone calls with BT regarding this and are told that our email addresses seem to have somehow been deleted?!  Neither of our email addresses are recognised and appear to no longer exist, nor does it appear they can be reinstated. Having had the same address for so many years, I am loathe to have to change email addresses, and am currently awaiting some important emails. Any suggestions?   Can I get my email address back?  How has this happened?   

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: BT email address / user ID not recognised

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they may be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 24

@Lisa2012 wrote:

I have had the same BT email address for in excess of 10 years now, but this week when accessing through Outlook (as I do daily) I was asked for my password which never happens.  I entered my password but it rejects that.  I have tried resetting my password but when being asked to confirm my email address, I receive an error message saying "Sorry, we do not recognise that email address/user ID."  The same thing has happened to my husband.  We have both had lengthy telephone calls with BT regarding this and are told that our email addresses seem to have somehow been deleted?!  Neither of our email addresses are recognised and appear to no longer exist, nor does it appear they can be reinstated. Having had the same address for so many years, I am loathe to have to change email addresses, and am currently awaiting some important emails. Any suggestions?   Can I get my email address back?  How has this happened?   

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Have you tried access your emails using a browser via webmail ? Sometimes the email address/password combination fails for a fleeting time, sometimes lasting a few days, usually only affecting access from mail client programs such as Outlook.

If you can access webmail, then it's a problem that has been happening for a number of months now.

A quick way to the webmail access is point your browser ay http://mail.yahoo.com and enter your full email address as the Yahoo! ID.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Yes, sadly I've tried that but it rejects my password / User ID.  I have tried clicking on the "Forgotten Password" option to be 100% sure I was not making a password error, but when trying that option, it tells me the user ID / email address is not recognised.  BT call centre tried the same thing and advise my email address no longer exists.  VERY confused!?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 24

@Lisa2012 wrote:

Yes, sadly I've tried that but it rejects my password / User ID.  I have tried clicking on the "Forgotten Password" option to be 100% sure I was not making a password error, but when trying that option, it tells me the user ID / email address is not recognised.  BT call centre tried the same thing and advise my email address no longer exists.  VERY confused!?

Hi again. Can you send me a PM (private message) - click on my name and choose the option. Then include the email address you've having problems with.

If you're still with BTYahoo! (which I assume you are), there is no reason for the address to be deleted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Andy, I am sorry - I must be being very dim - I do not see an option to PM you.  Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Sorry, I WAS being dim - found it and have PM'd you.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 24

@Lisa2012 wrote:
Sorry, I WAS being dim - found it and have PM'd you.

Hi again.

Well - I would say that your email address does actually exist. You could try logging into :-

http://mail.yahoo.com

@using your full email address as the Yahoo! ID - you may like to try using @btinternet.com as well as @btopenworld.com

There is usually a different response if the email address doesn't actually exist - and in your case indicates one of two possible scenarios. Either you have got the wrong password for some reason or other, or the email address is in a limbo of "delete" state. This latter is usually when a sub account has been deleted from a primary, and is in this state (around 90-110 days) until fully deleted.

As the email addresses sub accounts, or is one a primary ?

It actually sounds like one of these recent access failures hapenning to some people, so to be honest it might be worth waiting for a while (sometimes a few days, but trying every few hours) in case it suddenly springs into life.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Thanks Andy, I tried the link you provided and did not have any luck (managed this time to say I'd been locked out of the account and had to wait 12 hours before I could try again) but will wait a day or so and try again. I would say my email address is a primary account.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Tried that but no luck. Firstly it asks for my user ID and password and then says one of those is incorrect. I then try the option "I cannot access my account" then chose the option "I have a problem with my password". I type in my Yahoo ID and it requests I retype the code shown, but although I am typing it correctly, it keeps just asking me to do it again and again and again and again… nothing else happens. The same thing happened yesterday. When I tried the option "I think my account may have been compromised", the same thing happens. Any other suggestions? 😞