cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
technophobicag
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

BT email problem on iPhone (can receive, but not send)

Hi - For the last 3-4 hours I've been unable to send emails from btinternet address on my iPhone 6. They just sit in my outbox. I have been receiving emails during the same period. I can also send emails from my Mac. 

Is this a known issue or does anyone have any suggestions to fix it?

As my username suggests I'm not particularly technically gifted, but I have been able to establish that my email server appears to be "Yahoo! SMTP Server". In my phone settings there's an option to select the "mail.btinternet.com" server, but I've no idea what the implications of doing this are and assume the Yahoo server is my default for good reason?

Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT email problem on iPhone (can receive, but not send)

If it has previously been working OK it could just be a glitch that will clear its self.

The correct settings are here

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/346,6588,6591

You should also check that the out going server has the correct password. To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. 

From there select the BTinternet account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.  

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming Mail Server there, but the outgoing mail server simply shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com

If you tap on the outgoing mail server it still shows very little detail and that it is 'on'.  But you have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

0 Ratings
technophobicag
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Thanks, but the way you've described the layout of the settings doesn't appear to be what I can see on my phone. There's no joint Mail, Contacts, Calendar option and I can see no mention of IMAP in the Mail settings.

The problem persists this morning.

Should the BT secondary server be ON as default?
0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 16

I have the exact same problem. It's obviously a yahoo issue because I also have a pure yahoo email that is not affiliated in anyway to BT which is doing the same. I can use the yahoo app on iOS ok to send but the native mail app is exhibiting this behaviour. Yahoo lets us down again and there is no easy way to report them or get at them!
0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 16

I checked Twitter for @yahoocare and there seem to be quite a lot of reports. I've also reported it and maybe you could do the same - the more people who do it might make them take more notice and expediate a fix.
0 Ratings
technophobicag
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

Done.

Glad it's not just me then.

Not convinced I'm receiving emails properly either.
0 Ratings
lizzie1946
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

I have the same problem as several others on this Forum so I suspect it is a BT Yahoo issue.#Last evening I suddenly found I was unable to send emails from my IPhone or my IPad. Until then everything worked perfectly. I deleted my account on my ipad and reinstalled the account but to no avail. Please can you help?

0 Ratings
Pharmer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

My wife has the same problem but her gmail account sends OK. Also, bt email works from my laptop but not my ipad.

0 Ratings
Tabbycat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

I'm a "Premium" Talk21 email user experiencing the same problem. Initially I assumed it was because of the enforced change of password, so tried re-adding my mail account on iPhone 6 using the Yahoo! template, but this still fails to send email (receiving email works fine, albeit I have to put up with almost daily re-entering password through the Yahoo API - does anyone know WHY?).

It's hard to tell if the Yahoo SMTP server requires authentication, as these settings are greyed out on iOS and impossible to edit (meaning I can't explicity set the outgoing password). Sounds like my next stop is to check on Yahoo for any info, but let's hope BT can persuade Yahoo to get this fixed!

In the meantime it would be handy if anyone here can confirm if I add an email account using BT Internet IMAP4 settings on iPhone, will this work fully for Talk21 email accounts, i.e. will I still have IMAP4 access for Incoming mail?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 16

Since last night I have been unable to send emails from any Ios Device,  I can receive.  I have tweeted both companies posted on bth BT and Yahoo community pages and not one person has replied.  I am not alone.  

I have deleted, re added accounts, changed and rest passwords.  This is not the issue. 

IT IS UNBELIEVABLE that noone from either Bt or Yahoo or whoever now manages the servers and the paid for service is responding. 

People run bsuinesses on email

SORT IT PLEASE

Make a press announcement so that we know what is going on

Provide a BONE FIDE customer contact number so we can call you, not a dodgy one offered by a 'third party"

I am deeply frustarted, wasting hours trying to resolve this. 

Thank you

0 Ratings