Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Itsmeagain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT failed to fix landline fault so no broadband restored

Go to solution

Hello,

My elderley mother's BT landline & broadband went down earlier this week.  She is in the 01202 area.  The BT Engineer came out after a couple of  days, said the fault was BT's and it would be fixed.  Yesterday at about 6pm after much to-ing and fro-ing, the landline was restored.  The engineer switched on the BT Router and left, keen to get away, saying it would be fine in a  few hours.  It's still not working as of 10 minutes ago, she just called me.  Landline yes, but no broadband.  Orange flashing light on the router.  I am over 200 miles away so cannot help directly.  At my request, she has "power cycled" the router but to no avail.  BT have told her it's not their fault and the engineer claims - falsely - that the broadband was working when he left.  My mother is old but she can tell the difference between blue lights and flashing orange ones on a router.  BT have said they will charge her £85 for a call out but they cannot get to her for several days.

So now she has no broadband, she cannot do her internet shopping, so she is running out of food.  (I am getting some neighbours to assist but this cannot go on for long).  What do you advise?  

Thanks,

Itsmeagain

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT failed to fix landline fault so no broadband restored

Go to solution

by 'power cycled' do you mean just switched router off and on ?  if so try and reset hub by pressing the recessed button on back and holding for 20/30 secs until lights flash

check phone line is ok by dialing 17070 option 2  should be silent and make sure number in announcement is correct

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Itsmeagain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks, I've asked her to do the 17070 thing. A friend is taking her food shopping right now, so I need to call her back later to see how it went.
She has a HomeHub2 so I need to explain to her over the phone where to find the reset button. From memory, it's on the right hand side of the thing, so I'll see if she can reset it and keep you posted.
0 Ratings
Itsmeagain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Reset didn't work. 17070 option 2 was quiet. She's managed to speak to someone at BT who is sending her a new hub.
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Is the hub plugged into the same socket as the phone? could have been unplugged?

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Itsmeagainwrote:
17070 option 2 was quiet.

Correct number in announcements?

0 Ratings
Itsmeagain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Yes it was the correct number in the announcement. The hub is plugged in the same way as it was when it was working ok apparently.
0 Ratings
Itsmeagain
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Just had a text from my mother, the broadband service now seems to have been restored. All lights are blue again. Interestingly she learned that a neighbour has had similar issues, similar timing. Fingers crossed it's all ok now. Thanks for your support and suggestions.
0 Ratings