cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sainterj
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Hey guys, I am moving to my new appartment in a few weeks but wont have internet until July 12th.

I am having friends over and want to share my internet with them. I have bt at my main house but not at my flat.

Can only 1 person at a time use the BT Fon account? 

If so how can i get around that? Can i logg into the internet using wifi and then use tethering on my phone?

Any help would be greatly apreciated. ❤️

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT fon

Go to solution
you can only use FON if you have access to a FON site when you are in your flat
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

You will need a wifi hotspot in range of the flat, and to know the wireless key unless it's an open network to which you have access, like BT Fon. If the mobile signal is strong enough you should be able to tether a phone to a computer; you can also set up a phone as a wireless hotspot, though it would be far less powerful than a broadband router. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
sainterj
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

What I was trying to ask was:

If i do have a BT Fon signal, which i know the area does.

Can me and my friends logg onto all of our devices in this one property using the same account?

For example 1 friend loggs on bt fon using my acc using laptop and same for the other friend?

If it is only for 1 person where does it say this?

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

There's nothing to stop you sharing your log-in details, though some might think it unwise. I don't know if it's technically possible for more than one device to log in to the same hotspot at the same time using the same account. Even if it is, the results would be poor; bandwidth is only 512Kbps, and performance even for one connection at a time is notoriously flaky.

The bottom line is that BT Fon is only intended for casual, light use.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@pottyperson wrote:

There's nothing to stop you sharing your log-in details, though some might think it unwise. I don't know if it's technically possible for more than one device to log in to the same hotspot at the same time using the same account. Even if it is, the results would be poor; bandwidth is only 512Kbps, and performance even for one connection at a time is notoriously flaky.

Just to add slightly, there are indications that BTFon may well now be faster than 512Kbps (unless the host requires it). Indeed when I was away in Wales, the FON speed on my device seemed to be much faster than that.

0 Ratings
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@Andy_N wrote:

@pottyperson wrote:

Just to add slightly, there are indications that BTFon may well now be faster than 512Kbps (unless the host requires it). Indeed when I was away in Wales, the FON speed on my device seemed to be much faster than that.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's now a percentage of the total BB speed now, may be a mod could find out for sure?

(plus if a premium hotspot is the same)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
sainterj
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

The question is still really unanswered. The speed doesnt matter at all to me, its only for fb and spotify.

I was just trying to find out if we can all use bt fon using my account.

0 Ratings
sainterj
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

The question is still really unanswered. The speed doesnt matter at all to me, its only for fb and spotify.

I was just trying to find out if we can all use bt fon using my account. 🙂

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

in theory you all can use your one primary BT account to sign in to BTFON - just means that eveyone will know your password.  If everyone logs in at once then as BTFON is normally only 512kb then you will find things very slow

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings