cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryanturner
Beginner
Message 1 of 2

BT has been charging me for an accoumt that was closed 6 years ago!

I have just found this site and am glad there is somewhere to vent my anger with BT.

My story started in 2004 when BT muddled my login information for my home account with my work account. When I moved home they disconnected my work system instead of the home, and it took 2 months to get this mistake understood. I spent hours and hours on the phone trying to get this simple mistake sorted out and after 6 months of trying and getting nowhere I decided to cancel my BT work account and sign with Wannado/Orange. (For my sanity)

• The account was transferred from BT in May 2005 and has been with Wannado continuously since then.
  • My book keeper has recently discovered that BT has been charging me for this closed account continuously since May 2005. (The amount stolen from me is almost £3000.)
  • I have, again, spent hours and hours on the phone trying to find someone at BT who can handle the problem with little joy.
  • Several of the BT staff I spoke to saw on their system that the account had been transferred to Wannado in 2005, but it was always not their job to sort it out and a transfer to another department followed resulting in another exasperating queue.
  • The strange thing is that although they could see that BT was charging for something that didn't exist, they still spoke to me as if it was my account!!!!???
  • I eventually found someone at BT after another 2 or 3 hours on the phone, who would be able to cancel 'my account' and this has now been done.
  • THE PROBLEM NOW IS GETTING MY MONEY BACK!!! BT DOES NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THEY HAVE BEEN CHARGING FOR A SERVICE THAT DOESN'T EXIST.
  • All I have had from BT is a letter (with no reply address) stating that they are sorry I have cancelled 'my account' and hope I come back to them soon!
  • I HAVE GIVEN UP TRYING! I will be suing BT for the return of my money.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
alvinlwh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: BT has been charging me for an accoumt that was closed 6 years ago!

As I told you in the other thread, you have to file the claim with the Small Claims Court now. You only have just over a month to file the claim (Limitation Act 1980: 6 years for England and Wales, 5 for Scotland, so if you are in Scotland, you have effectively lost your 1st year's amount).

Your amount is below the limit of £5000 and you can easily file the claim online. You said you have a book keeper, so I assume you will have all the paperwork on hand/filed away nicely. This will make your case easy to prove. You are not only allowed to claim the amount taken unlawfully from you (the mods here do not like the word stolen), but also your court fees and an 8% PA interest on the amount. You can also claim other costs in trying to recover your money from BT; for exampe a "reasonable" amount of money for your time, phone charges to BT, postage if you wrote to them, cost of paper, ink, etc...

Note that legal fees are not claimable in the small claims court, but you can easily find help on how to fight without legal representation elsewhere on the internet. Do not worry about not having legal representation if the case does go to court, the Small Claims Court is design for "little people" to fight the bullies.

Good luck and you will feel great when the cheque arrives (ask me how I know!).

0 Ratings