cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevieD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT has no loyalty to it's current customers.

My current contract is coming to an end so I would like to upgrade to phone,TV & broadband but after over 34 years as a loyal customer the best BT customer options (cancellations or retentions) can offer me is nearly twice the price & with an inferior youview box. They are forcing me to go to Sky, WHY ?. Surely if they let me have the deal that is on offer to new customers I would stay with BT & if that meant that they would not get one new customer they would not loose. Do they just treat existing customers with contempt relying on the fact that they will stay anyway, they have no loyalty at all, over 34 years mean nothing to them.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT has no loyalty to it's current customers.

Well if and when you go to Sky and you come to the end of your contract, you will find exactly the same happens again. Sky will not offer you the same deal as a new customer gets to renew/extend your contract.

My house insurance company always gives new customers a better deal.

My building contents insurance company always gives new customers a better deal.

My Car Insurance company always has a better deal for new customers.

My energy company never says ,hay man your 12 months is up we can do the next 12 months far cheaper.

It's a common fact that all these companies know that the majority of customers are far too lazy to bother changing companies so are only interested in offering beter deals to new customers.

Loyalty went down the pan many years ago. Just spend 10 minutes or so whenever a contract comes up for renewal and you can save £'s and £'s and £'s every year.

I'm just waiting for even more competiton from companies/utilities that I deal with.

This year I have rejoined SKY TV @ 1/3rd off for 5 years, changed my energy supplier, changed my Car Insurance and in January the house/contents will be changed or not renewed and I will probably sign up as another new customer with the same company.

Opportunities are there, use them to your advantage like they use you.

Just wish the water companies had some competition.

toekneem

(EASBF)

Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Realistically, the number of years that you have previously been a customer of theirs makes no difference.  They have already got the money from you for that.  What matters is how much money they can get from you over the next 12 months.  They are a big multinational business, not a small family company.

Just like the insurance companies, loyalty does not get you a discount.  Threatening to take your business elsewhere and meaning it does get you discounts.

If you haven't already done so, ask for a MAC code.   BT will contact you a few days later by text and/or email, and that will contain a new phone number.  If you phone that, you may find they are willing to offer you a bigger discount.  But realistically, if you are asking for a substantial upgrade to what you're on at the moment, you are going to pay more for it.

I have never switched to Sky.  That's partly because I don't like News International, but mainly because, once you've passed any initial discount period, their TV service is horrendously expensive. Unlike Sky, I believe in cheaper.

bazzer9
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I agree with Ectophile the Distinguished Guru.
But it would be nice to have it confirmed by one of the moderators that BT prize new customers over old ones !
As if 🙂
StevieD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Just an update from me, I also complained using the BT complaint service & BT stated In the 'e' mail response to my complaint the following:

''Our aim is to get back to you in 48 hrs. But at busier times, it could take us up to 96 hrs.
Either way, don't worry we'll be in touch''

That was 26th November, 13 days ago or 312hrs. Please do you not want any customers !!
0 Ratings
bazzer9
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

They're just having a larf !

One day it may dawn on them that Customer Loyalty is worth cultivating, but until then Switch, switch, switch is the name of the game .
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

As every company not just BT know that the vast majority of customers can't be a***d bothered to switch it's not likely to dawn on them anytime soon.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
bazzer9
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

You never know ! With the popularity of Martin Lewis and other consumer champions i think the switching message is starting to get across. Even the mighty Tesco can't take it's customers for granted anymore.
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

@bazzer9 wrote:
They're just having a larf !

One day it may dawn on them that Customer Loyalty is worth cultivating, but until then Switch, switch, switch is the name of the game .

Most people are reluctant to switch.  Those that do intend to switch will phone BT and will be offered discounts to stay; the discount will be big enough to make it not worth the effort of switching.  Those people who hadn't even thought of switching will end up paying the full price.

BT will have worked out that this business model earns them a lot more money than offering a big, permanent, price cut to all existing customers.  They are not stupid.

0 Ratings