cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

BT have been charging me for email account and now registered debt

I wonder if anyone can help. I have never missed a payment for anything in my entire life and although I don't have much use for credit it has never been an issue. Recently my bank told me there was something I should know about on my credit file so I went on Experian and was flabbergasted to see BT had registered a £16 debt over 6 months for unpaid email account (at £1.50 a month). This was a secondary email account and I have NEVER been sent a request to pay for it! I would have simply got rid of it - as I have now. Spent all morning on phone speaking to people globally and eventually found someone who confirmed the issue but his supervisor refused to budge so I was forced to pay the amount to try and redress the credit issue. Unhappy I wrote to BT (as they make it impossible to email) asking for a refund and the credit report to be amended. I have also added my own correction report via Experian. No reply from BT 4 weeks later I will be writing to the Info Commisioner and Comms ombudsman next however, yesterday I was simply trying to move my sons mobile phone with O2 from a pay as you go to a cheap monthly tariff and the computer said no, referring me to their credit file team so I can only assume this is now adversely affecting me. Has anyone experienced anything similar or any advice on how to get BT to help!
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT have been charging me for email account and now registered debt

Are you a BT Broadband customer?

If you are not, and still have an old btinternet or talk21 e-mail account and said that you wanted to keep it, then you would have been moved onto Premium Mail, which has a monthly charge.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels&q=premium+mail

Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply. No I haven't been a BT customer for many years so when I first saw the report I was perplexed as I didn't have any BT products. I think you're right and they have moved the email onto the premium service but the key issue is - I did not ever receive any notification about this! I would never have paid for the luxury of a 2nd email account I didn't really need but they've seen fit to register it as unpaid rather than just stop the email account. I really poor and I will pursue. I wonder if anyone has any details of their (BT) Credit File department?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Try commenting on their Facebook page or Twitter - they don't like that and very quickly respond 😉

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

@DG100 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. No I haven't been a BT customer for many years so when I first saw the report I was perplexed as I didn't have any BT products. I think you're right and they have moved the email onto the premium service but the key issue is - I did not ever receive any notification about this! I would never have paid for the luxury of a 2nd email account I didn't really need but they've seen fit to register it as unpaid rather than just stop the email account. I really poor and I will pursue. I wonder if anyone has any details of their (BT) Credit File department?

Hi.

Does someone else in your family have access to that BT email account ?

When a person leaves BTinternet, the email account can go to one of a number of guises - unless the user chose specifically. Years ago it was converted to Basic email (webmail access only), or converted to a PAYG account, or the user chose to have Premium mail which has a cost as indicated.

That product is not given to you, it needs to be actioned by the end user as there is a charge. Is it possible someone else just said "Yes" to an email saying the account will close unless converting it to Premium ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

I just discovered the exact same thing and have not got a clue what to do about it. Some time last month I applied for credit and got refused citing my credit report. I thought this strange as I had always received my credit report monthly and it had been execllent. However there was an unpaid account logged with a different credit reference agency from BT that was in registered unpaid since 2012! I could not believe it! At first I had no idea what it could be then discovered it was this BT premium email.

I remember having this back in 2011 as I needed to migrate my email across so paid the small amount of £1.50 a month. At the end of 2011 I no longer needed it and cancelled the account with BT, or so I thought, and cancelled my subscription payment. I was unaware however this was not a subscription payment but some kind of credit agreement (despite never signing for such). BT also failed to register that I called them to cancel and continue my account rolling right up to now, over 4 years! At no point during this time did they contact me or did I have any idea that this account I believed to be cancelled was accrueing debt.

Ironically I have since become a BT customer again wtih Broadband/Landline since Sepetember 2014, something I am looking to change after being treated so unfairly.

So two hours of phone calls later and they knocked £19 off of the £72.80 I owed for an account I did not want and believed to be cancellled. I could not careless about the money though. It is the damage to an otherwise spotless credit history. I have been working hard to ensure my credit references are good as me and my wife are soon looking to get a new house and mortgage-  something I fear now will be stolen away for the sake of an email. I cannot put into words how much I despite BT right now! I always pay my debts and had I been contacted about this would have paid despite my belief the account was cancelled.

Did you manage to resolve this? Does anyone have any idea what I can do? All I want is my credit hisotory to be put right and not have my chance of getting our future family home jeopadised? If anyone has any advice that would be great. I have launched a complaint with BT but still do not know how this will help resove my problem. If any one from BT would like to offer assitance that would be most welcome, perhaps they can manage a better job than the terrible customer service offered from your call centers!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

0 Ratings