cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pro1
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT have gave my number out!

I have had my current phone number for years and years, all my contacts have it, schools etc etc... I have managed to keep it away from telesales and other spammers by keeping it ex directory and being careful where i give it out.

I recently decided to go back to BT and called them to arrange for them to take over my line from a competitor.

The order was being placed and i specifically said i wanted my number ex directory.

My line was to become active on the 8th April.

I received a letter with details of the order on and it said that my details were going to be published in the directory. I called straight away to get it changed and was told there was nothing could be done until my line became active on the 8th and then the "backroom staff" would take my name/number off the list.

The 8th came and my line was activated, all was good so i thought. 

I started getting dodgy calls from a 0002135371*** number day and night, when i answer it goes dead.

I called BT to make sure the request had been processed to be told it hadn't but they would do it now.

I called back a few more days later as there was a problem on my 1571 service. I asked about the ex directory request and i was told i hadn't been done as all requests had been cancelled but i will be done now.

I've just went on line and searched for myself and low and behold my name, number and address is on the bloody internet via BT's website, WTF!

I have called back today to be told that it is not ex directory and....you guessed yet??? I'll do it now sir!

I told them my number is being published online and they said it will take a month to come off, i told them that wasn't good enough then it magically went down to a week.

I dont believe BT at all now.

Needless to say I am taking my business elsewhere, i have been told that i will not be held to term and can leave without any ties.

However, I want something done about this and i want to know what my options are?

Multiple apologies are not good enough!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT have gave my number out!

Hi Pro1

Ok I'll be happy to have a look into this and get it sorted out for you.

Could you send me in an email please with your BT account and telephone number with a link back to this thread?

Send to forum.moderation.team@bt.com

Cheer

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 3 of 6

Hi Pro1

Ok I'll be happy to have a look into this and get it sorted out for you.

Could you send me in an email please with your BT account and telephone number with a link back to this thread?

Send to forum.moderation.team@bt.com

Cheer

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Linda_Smith
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

There has been a breach of the Data Protection Act as your information has been published in defiance of your clearly expressed wishes and without your consent. It isn't the first time.

Report the offence to the Information Commissioner - http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints.aspx

Keep copies of everything and make a log of dates/times of all calls around your order and ex-directory request.

My broadband secrets and tips
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

What BT have done can never be reversed. It is such a shame that procedures just collapse. Hopefully the Moderators will fix majority of your problems but i would recommend complaining to BT directly and taking it further.
CG Over An Out
0 Ratings
Bozza2011
Message 6 of 6

bt phone book

my telephone is suppose to be ex-directory and its in the bt phone book but im not with bt im with another telephone company been getting funny phone calls i dont know how they got my number but probably from the bt phone book which my niumber isnt supposed to be in

0 Ratings