cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwaker5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT home hub 2.0 range extender?

We've moved to a larger L-shaped house and are now having difficulty getting WiFi in some areas.  I've looked up about range extenders but all the postings I see are about problems people seem to have with the BT hub.  I really want something that I can plug in separately from the laptop that will just relay the wifi a bit further.  We're limited with options for siting the home hub without having wires everywhere (not an option with a crawling baby in the house).  We already have a range extender for the DECT phones so it mustn't interfere with this either.  Also, I am a techno-dummy so it needs to be easier than easy to install. 

Any suggestions?  Are they secure?

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
MartyB
Beginner
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT home hub 2.0 range extender?

I have a similar problem and it seems a bit of a mine field as to what will work and what wont. It appears to have been easy with the earlier versions of home hub, but home hub 2 doesnt come with WDS which is what most seem to use to connect as a repeater.

I found one that BT said was compatable which was made by Hawking but what i couldnt work out was why this one would work and others very similar wouldnt!

BT must have a compatabilty list, or at least minimum a specification for the equipment as to what is required to get this to work. What would be even easier would be a simple upgrade to the home hub 2 which allowed the WDS feature of the previous versions!

I would appreciate if anybody has already done this and got it to work could advise which range extender does work properly and securely!

0 Ratings
kwaker5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Will this bump my question?

0 Ratings
rustins
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

I have seen an interesting gadget made by Hawking in Maplins which looks like a miniature satellite dish and as long as you point it directly at the HomeHub it is supposed to work over a greater distance without a repeater. I wonder if anyone has ever tried one.

0 Ratings
kwaker5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I have seen those but really wanted to avoid anything that I had to plug into my laptop.

0 Ratings
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

Interesting concept here says it "transforms your home power circuit into a networking infrastructure and a WLAN connection".

Compatability may be an issue but worth exploring.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings
kwaker5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

I still think you need to plug your laptop into it (although I didn't follow much of the techno-babble!).

0 Ratings
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

Think I linked to wrong bit, this is the complete kit. Think the plan is to connect one plug to router, plug into socket and then stick wireless plug in suitable outlet to extend wireless range. Pricey though.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings
Djminisite
Message 9 of 12

Hi, we don't have enough plugs to use the ethernet powerline kit... any other ideas cause we would like to get wireless downstairs for laptops, wii and phones but need internet for pc :S

thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
sixdoublesix
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

If you dont have enough plugs then you can use pass through adapters. that way you dont lose a socket or have to use extension leads. Edimax HP-2002AC AV 200 HomePlug Powerline Adapter Kit (Pass Through) I wouldnt use a range extender as you will lose bandwidth and start to slow things down.

0 Ratings