cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT home hub

Bt desktop help says it is not compatible with  windows 8.1, and when I try going through the 102.168.1.254 it will not connect either. Why are only new customers being given upgraded home hubs but old customers have to put up with old routers? I want to change some settings but can't. I pay a fortune to BT for my infinity 2 so why am I not automatically sent the latest router?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT home hub

You should be using 192.168.1.254.  I would not bother with Desktop Help, as Windows 8 has network diagnostics included already.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Hi sorry it was a typing error, i  meant I had tried 192.168.1.254. It just says 'waiting for' in bottom left corner and does nothing else. My main gripe is why am I paying so much money a month and not being given a new router but new customers get the latest gear

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Try a factory reset of the home hub.

If you re-contract, you should be able to get the latest home hub at a cheaper price, and you may end up paying less anyway.

Try Customer Options on  0800 800 030

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

My advice and that of many on this forum is to uninstall BTDesktop Help. It is a piece of software junk and can cause more problems than it solves. It is not needed to connect to the Internet or for anything else on your computer.

You do not get "upgraded" to the latest router everytime one comes out. That would cost millions of pounds and is totally unnecessary. You can pay for an upgrade just as you would have to if you wanted any other type of product upgraded.

If there is nothing wrong with your router and it is working OK, I would check out this forum about the Homehub 4 and Homehub 5 before you decide to "upgrade"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@gg30340 wrote:

My advice and that of many on this forum is to uninstall BTDesktop Help. It is a piece of software junk and can cause more problems than it solves. It is not needed to connect to the Internet or for anything else on your computer.

Its not actually "junk" as such, it simply tried to diagnose issues, but can get in the way of other software and confuse the issue.

I do not know whether its still being updated. @DarrenB was involved with the development, but I am not sure whether that is still the case, you would have to ask him?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

Its not actually "junk" as such, it simply tried to diagnose issues, but can get in the way of other software and confuse the issue.

I do not know whether its still being updated. @DarrenB was involved with the development, but I am not sure whether that is still the case, you would have to ask him?

We will have to agree to disagree on that, definition of junk is old or disgarded articles that are considered useless or of little value.

That sums up BTDesktop help to me.

0 Ratings