Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shawie60
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

BT hub as a modem ?

Go to solution

Hi guys Im going to join BT soon but i have a question or 2 .. firstly Im with virgin at the moment and can use their router as a modem. Does the BT hub supplied with the infinity 1 package have that facility?  its just that i use my own router thats configured for plex etc and its working fine at the moment..

Also if not has anyone sorted out the problems with using plex on the bt hub? I read a couple of post and people seem to be having problems for what should be a simple job due to the hardware ..

many thanks

glenn

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT hub as a modem ?

Go to solution

Sorry, you are out of luck.  Hubs don’t do modem only.  If you want to use your own router then you could get either a used Openreach modem or buy a DrayTek Vigor 130.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

You can also get the netgear DM200. I have one to use with my router and it does the job fine.

0 Ratings
shawie60
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks guys, well thats dissapointing,  I was told by there people I could, lets hope there a way to use plex properly when i get it or I'll have to look at the alternatives.

Once again many thanks

glenn

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Make sure you either use UPnP OR manual port forwarding. Don't have both enabled at the same time.

0 Ratings
shawie60
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Id that with the BT HUB supplied??  after reading through the forums it seems the port forwarding on the Hub leaves a lot to be desired .. id use port forwarding .. my current router (netis WF2780) is set up for plex and has no problems at all.

thanks for the input tho, much appreciated.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

That was general advice regarding the home hub. I neither use a home hub or use Plex remotely. I would personally advise getting a modem and use your existing router, it will save all sorts of grief in the long run.

0 Ratings
shawie60
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution
yeah been sourcing them this morning, many thanks.
0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

What's the common understanding of modem here? I'm not sure I'm following.

It is possible turn off WiFi on the home hub and just use it for the PPPoE connection to BT's network and also use it as your DHCP server. You can then connect any WiFi router (or whatever) to the hub. Or even better attach the HH to a HomePlug socket and position your WiFi router in the centre of the house again connecting it to HomePlug. The WiFi router then just runs in Access Point mode, relying on the HH for DHCP and the outbound connection.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

It's simple a modem connects to the adsl/vsdl line and then normally via Ethernet to a router which will provide layer 3 routing and natting services. The router will act in layer 2 mode and the ppoa/ppoe session terminates on the router not the modem. A bt home hub cannot provide this modem only functionality. You can in effect double nat all traffic or you can turn off the dhcp, nat and routing functions of the home hub to turn it into a layer 2 switch or access point.

0 Ratings