Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alsoff
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT incorrectly cancelled line - now can't get it back

Hi All,

Hoping to get some opinions on the best way to tackle/escalate my problem. I've dealt with a number of people on the BT support number but things only seem to be getting worse...

I've recently had BT Infinity installed... It's one of the few perks from work and they arranged for a new BT business PSTN line to be installed in my house and setup with Infinity. All was working fine, so I phoned BT to cancel the existing ADSL on my consumer line.

I was really clear that I only wanted to cancel the broadband (and only in 30 days time after the contractural notice period), but the next day I was unable to make any calls and checking my email saw that my line had been completely cancelled - so I was now without my home telephone number.

Phoning BT that evening, it seems the only way to get the line back was to go through the new customer activation process - including credit checks, new 12 months contract, etc - and they gave me an activation date of about 2 weeks time. That would give me a new number after which I could then apply to get my old number back. I kicked up a fuss (really didn't want to be without my phone line/number for that long), and they agreed to fast-track the activation and gave me a better date (which was yesterday).

I felt I might be getting somewhere, but yesterday my work start getting confirmation emails about cancelling my telephone number and Infinity service - and when I get home it turns out BT have put the newly activated 'personal' number on my business PSTN line and my consumer line still doesn't work. And I'm still no-where near actually getting my hands on my old telephone number that everyone actually uses.

So I now have:

- my old consumer PSTN line which has a dial tone, but seemingly no number and not able to make outgoing calls

- my new business PSTN line which is working but now has a new number that is probably associated with my personal BT account. At this stage I have no idea how the billing for Infinity is going to work (it should go to work, but I've also received a letter that it is going to be cancelled - which would be the icing on the cake).

This morning I spent quite a while talking to the order team helpdesk. I could tell he had no idea what was going on and, after putting me on hold for a long time, finally got rid of me by saying someone from the business team would phone me back in 5 minutes. That was about four hours ago and nothing since.

I really don't relish trying to explain this to someone over the phone in what seems to be an Indian call centre. Does anyone have any ideas how else I might go about getting the mess sorted?

Thanks,

Darren.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT incorrectly cancelled line - now can't get it back

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

0 Ratings
Alsoff
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Hi Keith - thanks for the reply, but I feel my post is really about my residential line. I was making the point that while trying to get my residential line reactivated (which I am still trying to do) BT managed to mess up my business line (which they shouldn't have been touching) - but my real aim is to get my home phone number/line working again.

However, I'll happily post in the business forum as well to see if anyone there can help.

Thanks,

Darren.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I think you need to concentrate on getting your business line working again, and unfortunately, the BT employees on this forum can only help with residential issues.

My guess is that Openreach have somehow mixed up the cable pairs.

Once you get your business line back, hopefully the residential line will be sorted.

It may be possible for someone here to look at the residential order, and see what Openreach have done.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.

They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are a UK based team of people, who take personal ownership of your problem.

Once you get a reply, make sure that you are logged into the forum, then click on their name, you will see a screen like this. Click on the link as shown below.
Please do not send them a personal message, as they cannot deal with service issues that way.

For your own security, do not post any personal details, on this forum. That includes any tracking number you are give.

They will respond either by phone or e-mail, when its your turn in the queue.
Please use the tracked e-mail, to reply, not via the forum. Thanks

modpicture.jpg

This is the form you should see when you click on the link. If you do not see this form, then you have selected the wrong link.
When you submit the form, you will receive an enquiry number, so please keep a note of it

Image2.jpg

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 5 of 5

Hi Alsoff,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry that your residential line was cancelled sooner than you requested and that you've got a new number on your recently installed business line.  Your post doesn't make great reading to be perfectly honest Smiley Sad

Your best bet would be to post on the business forum to sort out the business side of things but I'll certainly give you a hand with your residential line.  Send me the details and we'll get this picked up and sorted out.

Click on my username and under the "about me" section of my profile you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings