Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephani
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 30

Re: BT infinity 2 speed well off from what was promised

Thanks.

So if it can't be the writing, it has to be the hub. The thing is, I thought that the hub wasn't the problem due to getting 30 mbps a few times. It's just that a majority of the time I am getting below 10mbps on both a wired and wireless connection.

Could the modem have a part to play in this?
0 Ratings
stephani
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 30

Funny thing was that it was the duty manager that told me about a 100 foot reach on the wireless hub.

I've tried changing channels but this hasn't done anything.

The speeds are similar wired so it can't be the wireless.
0 Ratings
stephani
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 30

The point about the fibre optic cable being creased due to the cable ties is a good point.

I've looked at all the cables but there doesn't seem to be a problem there.
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 30

@stephani wrote:
The point about the fibre optic cable being creased due to the cable ties is a good point.

There wont be any fibre optic cables in your setup, unless you are on fttp.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 15 of 30

@stephani wrote:

You only have ethernet cables not fibre. You are still on copper from the cabinet.

0 Ratings
hawkman
Beginner
Message 16 of 30

Hi,

The red infinity cable is not a fibre optic cable but a copper type I think,. but what ever it is , as soon as i changed it all the speed problems were resolved.

0 Ratings
alka5eltzer
Contributor
Message 17 of 30

Hi there... Have you tried turning off your antivirus/firewall?

I have Avira Internet Security and it was throttling my connection like mad.. So turned it off and it made a massive difference 🙂
0 Ratings
stephani
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 30

BT engineer came round today.

He decided to change my wireing since apparantly it was all over the place.

The router was also replaced.

Currently, my speeds are as stated when wired. The problem I have now, is that my wireless speeds are low. Apparantly even with such a high line profile as mine, the engineer states that the limit I can get out of wireless is 40 mbps. I wouldn't mind this speed wireless but it's still a struggle to get anywhere near it.

I have been struggling since the engineer replaced to router to get above 10mb wireless. There are no electrical appliances or anything near it and it is placed away from walls.

Does anyone know if there is electrical interference between the router and the modem as I currently have the router sitting on top of the modem and also whether interference is caused by bunching all the wires together using cable ties.

I can also detect about 20 neighbour wireless signals when scanning for my router. Could this also cause interference?

I keep turning my router and modem on and off and the wireless speeds start off around 30 mbps before gradually going down to as low as 500 kbps within 20 minutes. Do I really have to keep resetting my router and modem every hour? Surely I don't need another router replacement.

Thanks

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 19 of 30

Don't turn the modem off and on too often, otherwise DLM may well take all your speeds down, wired and wireless. If the wired speeds are good, it is very unlikely (almost impossible) to be the modem causing wireless problems.

Probably best to keep the router clear of other equipment, wires and pipes to get the best wireless signal out of it.

20 neighbour wireless signals will definitely cause wireless problems if any of them has significant strength and is on the channel you are using. But in that case I can't see why it would degrade so quickly; it would just be bad all the time.

pippincp
Sage
Message 20 of 30

First by all means turn the router off as often as you like but not the modem, leave the modem alone!

Second , it sounds like the wireless device you are trying to use is wireless "g", please confirm.

Third BT engineer doesn't know anything about wireless if he states max is 40Mbps - unless he knows it is a wireless "g" device and then he is being optimistic (very) and it will never happen.

As a norm wireless "g" will max out at about 20 - 25mbps due to the overheads involved.

0 Ratings