cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 30

Re: BT infinity 2 speed well off from what was promised

I think these days wirless should not be advertised at all.

I went round a friends house to setup his system and a quick search found 28 wifi routers nearby, how on earth are you supposed to find a spare channel there.

Everyone scrap wifi where possible, get loads of Cat5/Cat6 cable and if good at DIY cable up your house, or if too lazy invest in some 500Mbps powerline adaptors and hope that your internal house wires give you at least 80Mbps throughput.

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 30

I regularly get 55Mbps wireless - that's on a machine which uses a Linksys wireless-n adapter and is directly above the room where my HH3 sits, i.e. it's separated from the router by a ceiling and floor, not by walls.

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 23 of 30

@pippincp wrote:

As a norm wireless "g" will max out at about 20 - 25mbps due to the overheads involved.

They're only capped due to other standards being in that standard, like cheap "n" technology normally has a the g standard and cannot achieve over 54mbps. I'm talking about cheap "n" technology here, the highier end is not bounded here.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
chrcoluk
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 30

yeah 2.4ghz is a too small band for widespread domestic use, in my area is 14 networks and I only have houses one side of me, the other side is a park, so its very believable there can be 28.

I dont see why people cant use ethernet cables more, both my pc's are wired, I have a spare cable for laptop also which I use when its in static spot, I only use wireless for my phone and for my laptop (if moving it around).

A 20mhz width wireless N channel on my laptop can just about do 70-75mbit throughput with all those 14 networks. So still ok even with tons of interference.  But I will stick with ethernet on all my static devices as cant beat gigabit lan.

0 Ratings
stephani
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 30

I have completely given up

I think that with my wireless I am just extremely unlucky. I would have an ethernet if I could but my engineer didn't care about putting the hub in a better location. It is just all about putting it where the master scocket is. The location it is in, now means that I would have to sit on the cold tild floor with my laptop just to get wired speed.

I am just really annoyed. the average I get wireless is 10mb and this is 1 foot away from the router. In certain rooms, I get about 3mb and upstairs I can't get any signal. As I said before I can pick up about 20 wireless signals and most of my neighbours are on BT.

I downloaded inSSIDer and found out that they are always on the same wireless channel as me and when I change, it is not long before they change. I also live in a terraced house and have noticed that many of my neighbours have their routers in exactly the same location as me, right by the front door. This means that the routers are literally a wall apart from each other.

If they had put the hub where my old router was, I reckon there wouldn't have been any problems. I just have to accept for the next 18 months that I am paying 5 times the amount for 3 mbps extra.

Im gonna get me some of those Linskys powerline adapters and give them a try.

Thanks for everyones help

0 Ratings
somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 30

Really you should get back to BT and tell them you want the hub moved to where you want it and tell them at the same time that the engineer would not do this.

You could try the mods on here.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951
0 Ratings
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 30

My wireless has worked much better since I disabled smart wireless and forced the HH3 on to Channel 11, which is the same channel as most of my neighbours. No, I don't understand it either !!
0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 28 of 30

@biffo1963 wrote:
My wireless has worked much better since I disabled smart wireless and forced the HH3 on to Channel 11, which is the same channel as most of my neighbours. No, I don't understand it either !!

The thing I've noticed is, I only have 1 wifi near me which is only picked up on occasations which is on channel 6. But If I change the channel every week it seems stronger, this always seems to get better speeds as it normally decreases over time I've found.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
stephani
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 30

Thanks. Will try disabling smart wireless.

What I find funny is that when the internet is extremely slow you have to go on the Bt help and change channel. But isn't the point of smart wireless to automatically search for the best channel. Everytime I do a manual search for a better channel it always finds one.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to put another router upstairs and how to do it. I was thinking if I put a pair of powerline 500 mbps and attaching a router to the one upstairs. Ideally I want to get wireless and Ethernet access upstairs.
Is this possible? And how would you do it?

Thanks
0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 30 of 30

Really you should get back to BT and tell them you want the hub moved to where you want it and tell them at the same time that the engineer would not do this.

I'm pretty sure they won't do this.  Even with a new install where extension is requested, they will move the modem away from the master socket.  I don't think they will ever add ethernet cable to move the router away from the modem.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to put another router upstairs and how to do it. I was thinking if I put a pair of powerline 500 mbps and attaching a router to the one upstairs. Ideally I want to get wireless and Ethernet access upstairs.
Is this possible? And how would you do it?  You could do this, with another router, or simpler and cheaper a new switch, upstairs.  Or, you could connect the modem to the powerline downstairs, and the existing HomeHub to the powerline upstairs.

As it is just stairs, it may be cheaper and certainly will be better, to run an ethernet cable up the stairs.  Of course, that depends on the layout, and how particular you are about cabling.

0 Ratings