Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paintitred
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

BT infinity 2

Hi,

I joined BT infinity towards the end of last month (April) and am suppose to get up to 76Mb/20Mb. 

My projected speeds were suppose to be 66.3Mb down/ 20.0Mb Upload, however I'm getting nowhere in those regions.

It's already over the 10 day period, and a phone call earlier in the week to BT suggested after Tuesday Midnight, the speeds would optimise. This didn't happen on the 2nd May. 

I did a test on the BT beta speed tester, by ethernet cable, and it gave me 38.23Mb/7.34Mb (Down/Up) with 20.00 ping. 

A futher test for the ADSL & FTTP Diagnostics, gave me ranges of 12 - 38.72Mbps download (max of 38.72Mb), upload of 8.46Mbps with a  max achievable speed of 10Mbps.

Therefore I wonder if my BT infinity is truly the new "up to 76Mb" or the older "40Mb" service as I can't seem to gain the speeds projected. 

BBMax gave me these results: Download Speed: 37671 kbps (4708.9 KB/sec )   Upload Speed: 8123 kbps (1015.4 KB/sec ).

I'm starting to wonder whether BT capped me at 40Mb.

Any Suggestions as to what to do next?

PS. The green cabinet is 2 houses away... So it's not a case of being too far from the cabinet..

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT infinity 2

Looks like you're on the 40/10 service mate. I suggest calling the sales team and get them to check what product you're on. You can get them on 150 but I believe they're having system problems at the moment.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Icedragon05
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

I had the same problem, it was easily solved by powering hub and router down, then back on again, immediately up to 75/17. That was 5 days ago, stable at those speeds testing with speedtest.net and others, not the BT ones.

0 Ratings
paintitred
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Yep they throttled me at 40/10 for some reason or another, guy cited testing period but I reckon they were backlogged.

Advisor said i'll average between 45-50Mb, which isn't very good compared to the projected 66.3Mb max limit.

I'll be able to update this thread about the speeds in 2-3 hours once they complete the "upgrade" (which should have already been implemented without calling the BT centre...)

Woman called straight after my call, and I gave the guy a feedback of 4. The guy was an angry impatient man, he's made me annoyed as well now. 

0 Ratings
1998adam8991
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

I'm having the same issue! i was on infinity and upgraded to infinity 2 and my speeds have dropped from 36-40mb to 15mb help!!! my activation day was on 30th april!

0 Ratings
tbirduk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

All I can suggest is that you DO NOT ask BT to fix it! I had Infinity1 for over 9 months and last month was silly enough to ask to be upgraded to Infinity2

Infinity1 had been rock stable and run between 37.5 and 38.7 on every test.

The only upgrade was that BT conned me into signing a new 18 month contract, my connection speed has varied between 0.86MB and 78 MB but the 78MB rate only lasts until they close the fault call, at which point the speed at least halves. To add insult to injury, their last attempt to fix the speed did actually work for 36 hours but then my family texted me to ask if I knew my landline was not ringing!

Yes folks, they had turned the broadband power up so far it damaged my Openreach wall box!  At least the engineer turned up on Bank holiday Monday and changed the wall box, ran some tests and you guessed it, the BB speed is back down to <30MB .. The Openreach engineers told me to ring the help desk tomorrow because he can't explain or fix the problem and was told during hs training that his job was not to fix line speed issues. 

One hour after he left the speed suddenly jumped back up to 78MB! One hour after that I got a call from BT asking if my speed issue was fixed, Idiotically I said yes and within 30 minutes it was back down to 35MB

Seriously folks if your infinity 1 is working DO NOT ask for an "UPGRADE" Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 7 of 14

adam and tbird: what are both of your profiles if you run a speedtest at the bt speedtester?
0 Ratings
paintitred
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

[Update]

Hi all, thanks for replying to this thread and reading.

Just now I spoke to BT again, from the BT broadband helpdesk to the "upgrade" center. Now, I was very peeved because from my understanding I was supposed to already be on 76/20 infinity2 package and I hated how both advisors kept saying the word "upgrade".

Needless to say, I was very angry but calmed down when I remembered it's not the advisors' fault. It's BT's.

Heres the jist of it:

1. If you purchased infinity 2 around the period when they confirmed the FTTC will be 76/20Mb down/upload, then you need to ring UPGRADE department.

The reason being is that your BT.com will show you as Infinity2, but your package has not been upgraded from the 40/10Mb connection.

You need to ring the UPGRADE dept to ask them to change over the connection so that it'll be a max of 76Mb/20Mb.

The ETA she told me was 3 working days and there will be 2minutes in the early morning where you won't have internet.

2.If you have infinity 1 - you will be charged for upgrade to infinity 2 and you'll probably have to do step 1 as well. I'm not sure about this since I have infinity2.

3.If your "ADSL & FTTC Diagnostic" on http://speedtester.bt.com/ shows a maximum download of up to 40Mb and an upload max of up to 10Mb, then don't ring BT broadband helpdesk - do step 1.

It'll save you alot of time and effort as well as sanity (as i should have done a week and a half ago).

---

I asked the lady at "UPGRADE" dept whether there will be charges incurred, and she promised that there will not as I'm already on Infinity 2. Therefore those on Infinity 1 will most likely be charged at whatever the cost/rate and also the 18months contract.

I will know in 3 working days whether my speeds has been upgraded to the promised up to 76Mb connection which is supposed to reach a max of 66.3Mb.

I also encourage you all to do step 1 if you are having problems with your BT infinity 2 max speeds. I also encourage you all to complain to BT about the unnecessary need for us to physically call them just so they get off their bottoms and implement a service which should have already been activated.

The advisors are not at fault, as they are doing their jobs. It's the department leaders / cretins, who have poorly handled this new service. Why do we need to ring them to upgrade us when it should have already been default for new customers? 

0 Ratings
tbirduk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

well the first attempt always shows

Image1.jpg

so I refresh and then get this

Image2.jpg

0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 10 of 14

what happens if you try a speedtest at http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ ? your profile is deffo not the prob.
0 Ratings