Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

BT infinity below minimum guaranteed - what next

Go to solution
My infinity upgrade happened today. Expected download 39, minimum guaranteed 35 (this seems to be a new thing required by the regulator).

I get 22 according to the hub, 21.9 by BT speed test. I phoned BT and they will monitor for 2 days and then I will be called Sunday. My cable from the pole next door and master socket were new last year, and the fibre cabinet was installed only 2 months ago. The cable to the cabinet must be fairly straight as it's overhead most of the way, as the crow flies probably 500m. We're in a rural area, edge of the village near the cabinet and exchange (next village), so I did expect to get the predicted speed.

If it doesn't improve, which might be the case as perhaps we're further than they expected from the cabinet, what happens next. At the time I purchased it I was told if they fail to give the minimum you can walk out of the contract.

I'm not sure I want to do that as 22/9 is better than 9/0.8 on adsl2 but not necessarily worth the price increase of £10.

Anyone else had similar and what did you do?
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT infinity below minimum guaranteed - what next

Go to solution

Can you enter your phone number at the following link and post results? Delete your number when posting the results here: http://dslchecker.bt.com

Run the following tester and when the first test has completed, click "Further Diagnostics" and post the results of that test: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution
I've been through the speedtest side of things with BT. They agree I'm not getting the service they expect.

FTTC Range A (Clean) 40 30.8 7.7 5.5 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 34.4 19.2 7.7 4 -- Available

Can't run speedtest on the devices I have connected at the moment, but I'm more interested the contract issues and what the realistic options are, rather than the cause of the problem - if it's fixable they will identify it, if not I need to know what others have done - cancel and revert to ADSL, or put up with the below minimum.

I'll post the speedtest results when I put my mac on later.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Can you go to hub and then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

If you are not getting the speeds that BT estimated you should they will endeavour to "fix" the problem and deliver what was estimated. If they can not deliver that you will normally be allowed to terminate your contract without penalties.

They may, although I doubt it, give you a discount on your package cost.

If you can not get the speeds with BT it is unlikely you will get any better with another provider because they all use the same infrastructure from the cabinet to your property.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Is the guarantee for both the Down and Upstream? Or just the Down?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution
The guarantee is only for download speeds: BT never guarantees upload speeds because they vary far too much to be consistent.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

BT or any ISP does not normally guarantee any speed whether down or up. If OP has it in writing that a speed is guaranteed then that will be a first

It it is odd to give a guarantee of a speed which is higher than the bottom end of the dslchecker estimate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

In reply to 

"BT or any ISP does not normally guarantee any speed whether down or up."

There was somethign in the news recently about OFCOM changing the code of practice regarding speed:

For comparison, here is the text from my BT order last week:

Your broadband speed
We estimate your download speed will be between 39Mb and 40Mb.
We estimate your upload speed will be between 9Mb and 10Mb.
The lowest speed you can expect from your BT Infinity will be 35Mb.
The top speed you can get from your broadband line depends on a number of things, like how far you live from your BT exchange or street cabinet, how many other people are connected to the same exchange or cabinet, your computer's speed, the time of day, the speed of the servers you're accessing, and even interference from the appliances in your home. To find out more, go towww.bt.com/help/broadbandspeed
Tip: To get the fastest possible speed, connect your computer or set-top box to your BT Home Hub using an Ethernet cable. This will usually give you a faster speed than a wireless connection, but if you have to connect wirelessly, you can find out how to get the best wireless performance here.

Here is the text from my order a year ago:

We estimate your speed will be: between 3Mb and 7Mb.
For the first three days or so, your broadband speed might go up and down. That's normal. It takes that long for your broadband to find the best speed for your line. You can help it along by leaving your BTHome Hub on all the time and using your broadband as much as you can for the first few days. If you've got questions about the speed of your broadband after that, go to bt.com/help/broadbandspeed
If your broadband connection speed after the first three days is a lot lower than the estimate in this confirmation, let us know within three months of your service starting.

It would seem an explicit lower speed is now stated.

This is a good thing because in rural areas with no BT competition (the exchanges that weren't unbundled) on ADSL you could get a discount (or so I was told years ago - any I always got the discount) so that unlimited ADSL was around £13 / month. Switching to fibre there is no discount (as there is competition) so you get the same monthly rate as everyone else, but potentially no significant change in speed.

I'll wait and see what they say on Sunday after 2 days of monitoring.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

I'm not sure if 'The lowest speed you can expect from your BT Infinity will be 35Mb' constitutes an absolute guarantee, but at least its a step in the right direction.

0 Ratings