Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: BT infinity below minimum guaranteed - what next

Go to solution

The new Ofcom Code of Practice regarding minimum speeds offered to consumers does not come into force until October 2015. 

It does not say that ISP must guarantee speeds, rather that they must give an estimated range of speeds that the customer can expect and that the estimate should be based upon the minimum guaranteed access speed, which is the speed that the average line for that area can get. It is not a guarantee for an individual line. 

If the speed does not meet the estimated range the ISP must try and fix the line so that it achieves the speed or allow the customer to leave the contract without penalty. they can offer other things such as a lower package price but this does not remove the option to leave without penalty.

It is a voluntary code which BT have signed up to. The only sanction for any company who has signed up to it and do not deliver the speed is that they will have their name removed from the list of those companies that have signed up to it.

When it does come in fruition it will only apply to new contracts and will not be applied retrospectively.

See link for the full guidelines.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/codes-of-practice/broadband-speeds-cop-2010/

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution
It is a guarantee, I questioned it on the phone as I've seen a lot of complaints on here about fibre speed and given the problems I had with them last year I was sceptical.

Apparently if it fails to give that speed on their speedtest at all times, rather than be due to congestion at some times, then I can walk away from the contract. However, as I'm still in the first 14 days I want to resolve this so that not only can I end the contract but also be refunded the activation fee.

The speed hasn't changed in 24 hours.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

it would help if you post the stats from your hh5 - troubleshooting then helpdesk

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 23/07/15
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 19:11:30
6. Data rate: 9997 / 22135
7. Maximum data rate: 10109 / 21868
8. Noise margin: 6.3 / 5.9
9. Line attenuation: 25.9 / 24.7
10. Signal attenuation: 26.4 / 21.5
11. Data sent/received: 79.5 MB / 864.5 MB

There you go. I suspect as BT's change of policy on guaranteeing line speed is new there aren't many who've been in the position to negotiate on the situation. I'll post back on Sunday night if I have any success.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

From these stats you are not going to reach the 'A' value more like the impacted value suggesting problems with your line. I still don't think BT has changed policy to guarantee a speed as shown by information posted by gg30340

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

If you have a "guarantee" could you post a copy of what it says as I also have doubts about it being a "guarantee" and suspect it is more likely a " you will achieve"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution
BT phoned back today. Speed is below what they expect. They want to repeat the monitor with the hub in the test socket, but I doubt a master installed only last year would be the problem, but we'll see.

When I asked what if the speed stays below 35, she said they will send an engineer - without the usual threat of costs. I asked if it could just be they overestimated the speed and she said no.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

Problem fixed.

Now getting 36 mbps.

Last year when Openreach had trouble finding my exisitng connection they didn't fancy sorting out the star-wired mess of phone lines installed in 1984 when the house was built and instead ran me a new line and new master socket. What I didn't realise is they had connected the old wiring in as an extension. This is unusused and mostly coiled in the loft - obviously acting as an aerial!

Now in the test socket and all is good. Hopefully some of the cable for the extension is still good as I wanted to move the router to a more convenient location. But if not some drilling and routing of cat cable to be done.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

so the problem was internal just as well you didn't get engineer visit

glad you managed to solve the problem

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

I'm still surprised it made a difference - although it could be a faulty face plate - I haven't removed the wires for the extension to check. When they pulled a new cable over for me they put their network tester on in to check the quality, must have been before he clipped the extension in.

Anyway, I'm a happy customer for the time being.

0 Ratings