Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
messiahbrowny
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT infinity coming 9th june

Getting BT setup on the 9th 

speeds on the whole sales say's high 55 low 27 

now my question is will speeds be affected by how far you are from the exchange or is it how far you are from the green box

my nearest exchange is 2.1 miles a way but the green box is down the road 

Also what should the noise margin be sitting at?

le194na post code 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT infinity coming 9th june

It is distance to the cabinet that counts not distance to the exchange.  The noise margin optimum setting is 6. Your speeds can fluctuate for the first few days before settling at the speed you will get.

On your post here https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Discussions/Thinking-of-joining-please-help-me/td-p/1481... you said that BT had checked your line and you would ony get between 34/40Mbps so I wouldn't expect the top end of your estimate.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

this graph gives some idea of expected speed over distance from cab  FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
messiahbrowny
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

How can i find out the distance to my cabinet?
speeds on here say this

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 54.4 35.5 13.9 8.4 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 46.8 25.7 13.9 6 -- Available
0 Ratings
messiahbrowny
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

NARBOROUGH is served by Cabinet 1 how would i find the distance
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Even if you measured the distance accurately, there are still other factors that can affect your speed. You will not know until you are connected. However, as you are unlikely to get much in excess of 50M it might be worth considering if Infinity1 is the best option.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

if you know where cab is then you can walk the distance but from graph and max speed from dslchecker probably about 600m

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

As a rough measurement you could find the location on Google maps and measure from your house to it. Keep in mind that the cables may not take the most direct route or the one you would take walking to it.

You also have to keep in mind that the condition/quality of your cables will also effect the speed that you finally receive.

The only sure way to tell what speed you will receive is to connect everything up and then run a speed test. If it turns out you are not within the estimated range you would be able to complain to BT to have it sorted however if you are within the range but at the lower end, BT will not do much if anything to improve it.

0 Ratings
messiahbrowny
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

0.1M found it 🙂
Am after the upload more than download due to streaming a lot of games on my xbox one.i have took option 1 but option 2 seems to give me higher upload

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

If your line is capable.

0 Ratings