cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gavsafc
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

BT infinity faceplate

I'm due to get infinity later in the month and I'm wondering if I'll need a new bt faceplate. The one I have is the open reach with just the adsl to router connection. Does infinity need the rj11 from plate to rj45 on HH5? May seem confusing but pictures of infinity has this. Any help guys.
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT infinity faceplate

Which Infinity are you getting. Infinity 1 is a self install and comes with micro filter to plug in. Infinity 2 is an engineer install and if need be he/she will change the faceplate.

gavsafc
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

I'm only getting option 1, I believe the faceplate I'm on about is the one with the data connection socket at the top, but why do people with option 1 not need this? My current faceplate is a filtered on anyway.
0 Ratings
gavsafc
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Do I need the vdsl faceplate for infinity 1 as you do for option 2. What's the difference apart from speeds?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

If you are getting Infinity 1 you use the micro filter that comes with the Homehub. Just follow the instructions that come with it.

Yes the only difference is the speed. On Infinity 1 you are capped to 38Mbps download and 10Mbps upload no matter what your line can support. On Infinity 2 you are not capped and if your line can support 78Mbps download and 20Mbps that is what you would get. Keep in mind that both are Dependant on what your line can support which is why you should get an estimate before signing up. If you don't and you purchase Infinity 2 you could be wasting your money if your line can not support speeds above 38Mbps.

Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 16

RJ11 from socket to rj11 on hub. You dont need the microfilters if you already have a filtered faceplate.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

I know that there are more components on the faceplate, and they go fauty when there are storms around.

I moved this thread to the Infinity board, so you may be able to get more feedback from Infinity users that have both setups, and can tell you the difference in speed.

A few have replaced the faceplate with an ordinary microfilter, due to storm damage.

0 Ratings
gavsafc
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Deathtrap3000, I do have a microfiltered plate but it only has the telephone socket to rj11
0 Ratings
gavsafc
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

gg30340, surely for infinity no matter which option, we shouldn't be using a telephone to rj11 cable from bt socket to hub? This is my point, and if my plate has filters built in then you can't connect microfilters can you?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

If you have filters buit in you don't need to use the micro filters. They are supplied for those who do not have a filtered face plate.

If you are running a couple of meters from BT socket to hub rj11 telephone cable will suffice. I doubt you would see any drop in speed over that sort of distance.