cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 38

BT infinity faster than SKY Fibre.

Just checked what my speed is with my current 40/10 profile. - All is good. My profile is at 38.71 down and 10 up.

The BT infiniy checker says that my maximum speed would be a 72/20 profile.

Though that I would then check SKY's fibre product page and they say that the maximum speed would be 40.9Mbps.

So how does SKY's fibre product differ from BT's. Do they actually use the BT inifnity product, or do they use their own Hybrid LLU/Fibre ?

One of my colleagues at work has Sky Fibre broadband and he gets around 60Mbps, so their product can reach a maximum of 80/20. (i.e. like infinity option 2).

Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 38

Re: BT infinity faster than SKY Fibre.

@dsh63 wrote:

Just checked what my speed is with my current 40/10 profile. - All is good. My profile is at 38.71 down and 10 up.

The BT infiniy checker says that my maximum speed would be a 72/20 profile.

Though that I would then check SKY's fibre product page and they say that the maximum speed would be 40.9Mbps.

So how does SKY's fibre product differ from BT's. Do they actually use the BT inifnity product, or do they use their own Hybrid LLU/Fibre ?

One of my colleagues at work has Sky Fibre broadband and he gets around 60Mbps, so their product can reach a maximum of 80/20. (i.e. like infinity option 2).

Smiley Surprised

They both use the same Infrastructure GEA-FTTC, though how Sky get their estimates I don't know, they actually estimate my speeds a bit more than BT.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 38

Your line may be able to support a connection speed of 72/20 but the fastest you will ever get with Sky is 40/10 because that is the fastest speed they offer.

Openreach wholesale out the following UPTO speeds on their FTTC Services

40/2

40/10

80/20

I heard it on good authority they are playign around with 100/30 at the moment.

If you take out the 40/2 they will cap you at 40/2 and so on for the 40/10 and 80/20.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 38

@Icarus wrote:

Your line may be able to support a connection speed of 72/20 but the fastest you will ever get with Sky is 40/10 because that is the fastest speed they offer.

Openreach wholesale out the following UPTO speeds on their FTTC Services

40/2

40/10

80/20

I heard it on good authority they are playign around with 100/30 at the moment.

If you take out the 40/2 they will cap you at 40/2 and so on for the 40/10 and 80/20.

The 100/30 you have said about is the upgrade from 17a profile to 30a profile and has been known for some time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 38

The 30a went all the way up to 160Mbps If I remember.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 38

@ryant704 wrote:

Indeed 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 38

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@ryant704 wrote:

Indeed 🙂

Wikipedia states 200Mbps, but from my memory only like within 50meters of the cabinet will get it so wouldn't really class at a 200 service. Though upgrading the profiles would be rather stupid before vectoring in my opinion.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 38

@ryant704 wrote:

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@ryant704 wrote:

Indeed 🙂

Wikipedia states 200Mbps, but from my memory only like within 50meters of the cabinet will get it so wouldn't really class at a 200 service. Though upgrading the profiles would be rather stupid before vectoring in my opinion.

I don't think BT will implement vectoring due to the cost of upgrading, but we shall see 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 9 of 38

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@ryant704 wrote:

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@ryant704 wrote:

Indeed 🙂

I don't think BT will implement vectoring due to the cost of upgrading, but we shall see 🙂

Maybe but when they notice the mass cost in call outs because of it I hope they do something about it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 38

Last I heard the cards in the cab only supported up to 17a and would need to be replaced if they wanted to use 30a.

0 Ratings