Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 38

Re: BT infinity faster than SKY Fibre.

@Deathtrap3000 wrote:

Last I heard the cards in the cab only supported up to 17a and would need to be replaced if they wanted to use 30a.

As far as I know the cards can support 30a and some cabinets have already been moved onto the 30a profile as a trial.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 38

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@Deathtrap3000 wrote:

Last I heard the cards in the cab only supported up to 17a and would need to be replaced if they wanted to use 30a.

As far as I know the cards can support 30a and some cabinets have already been moved onto the 30a profile as a trial.

May be using newer line cards. I thought ofcom had to give permission to use more frequency anyway like they did when they moved from 7mhz to 17mhz. 

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 38

@Deathtrap3000 wrote:

@Ratty2012 wrote:

@Deathtrap3000 wrote:

May be using newer line cards. I thought ofcom had to give permission to use more frequency anyway like they did when they moved from 7mhz to 17mhz. 

Maybe, not sure on that. I will look into this more this comming week and see whats going on.

0 Ratings
flamey
Contributor
Message 14 of 38

Sync speed will be the same be it BT or Sky, same line to the cab. Both offer upto 80/20 speeds.
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 38

and if Openreach did offer profile 30a, which they won't, then the faster FTTC speeds would be available to other providers like Sky and TalkTalk as well.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 38

@ray_dorset wrote:

and if Openreach did offer profile 30a, which they won't, then the faster FTTC speeds would be available to other providers like Sky and TalkTalk as well.

What makes you say that BT won't? It will be upto Sky and TalkTalk if they want to take advantage of the upgrade or not.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 38

Because it would require more cabinets as the capacity would be reduced. Also, new modems would be required as the current ones have 100mbps network sockets. Not forgetting that Openreach have only planned for profile 17a maximum. Anyway the higher speeds would only be available to a few houses close to the cabinet

The next phase of speed increases will be realised using FTTP.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 38

@ray_dorset wrote:
Because it would require more cabinets as the capacity would be reduced. Also, new modems would be required as the current ones have 100mbps network sockets. Not forgetting that Openreach have only planned for profile 17a maximum. Anyway the higher speeds would only be available to a few houses close to the cabinet

No additional cabinets will be required. The existing modems are fine with 100mbps ports as they will transfer at speeds of 14MB/s. Not sure where you got the idea about the 17a maximum from? The higher speeds will benefit people upto and maybe beyond 600 meters from the cabinet, which will be more than just a few houses. Other countries have already used profile 30a and beyond and have seen some very good results and benefits beyond using 17a.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 38

@ray_dorset wrote:

Bare in mind the suggested lifespan for FTTC is 20 years. The cabs can currently do 80mbps per customer uncontested. Theres nothing to stop them raising the speeds to 100mbps and having that last 20mbps as contested between other lines. Not everyone would be on a top tier package anyway.

Also, the current roadmap suggests vectoring as the next step to get faster speeds. Beyond that is G.Fast and FTTdp bringing with it 1gbps speeds and the potential removal of the copper network. 

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 38

Additional cabinets would be required and it doesn't matter how bad your maths is, it ain't gonna happen 😉
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings