Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2412gary
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

BT infinity order - massive activation delay, customer service awful

Hi,

First time on here as new to BT. Already I am seething with a lack of customer service.

Can anyone give miracle advice on how to get an activation problem resolved?

Ordered BT infitinty early october, given activation date of 22nd October.

Didnt activate, but old existing connection with Sky turned off. So called BT on 23rd Ooctber. Spent an hour on the phone to 3 different people after being cut off twice!

Was told the engineer at the box had reported a faulty piece of equipment, and needed 48 hours to fix. Was told they'd be in touch early Monday morning to confirm or advise.

I called BT again today at lunchtime after no contact. Again spent an age on the phone while at work, to be told that now another 5 working days needed because of 'supplier' issues, and they would call back on Friday. Absolutely nothing they could do despite my rage and threat to just cancel right now.

So I'm looking at Friday for switch on now - and I'm pessimistic about that given experience so far - which means I'll be without internet connection for over a week so far.

I think that is completely unnacceptable I must say. I also rely on the net for making telephone calls and work, which BT just dont care about at all.

Anyone had similar, or can suggest what to do here? I'm just so frustrated.

Thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT infinity order - massive activation delay, customer service awful

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 3 of 15

Hi 2412gary,

I am really sorry to hear that about the problems you have had with your order.

I've dropped you a private message, which includes the link to our order team. You can chat with them online.  This order team is based in the UK and will own your complaint until everything is sorted out.

Should you have any further problems after speaking with this team please let us know.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
2412gary
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Thanks Paddy

I started a chat but just got this -

"Hi Gary, I see that you have spoken with one of my colleagues this afternoon on this. We have spoken with our suppliers wholesale who have advised that there has been a system error in generating the order to get complete. We have raised this fault with them and they have told us to check back on the 30th October to see if this has been completed. It also is with a case management team who will check with our suppliers and we will let you know on the 30th October by 8pm when we have more information available. I'm sorry for the delay."

The conversation is continuing in exactly the same way my previous one did, with no real answer to my question of why it takes 5 working days to get a response from this elusive 'supplier' which is in fact BT itself?

I dont think there is any real help being offered here more than what I've already had.

😞

0 Ratings
dall01
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

I'm in exactly the same situation. Activiation date of the 22nd October, didn't work. Called up, engineer sent out didn't work (or show up). Called up again, faulty router that needs replacing and currently awaiting a new router. I work from home so have had to work from alternate location till at least Wednesday, maybe longer. I feel your pain/rage/helplessness!!!!!
0 Ratings
2412gary
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

This is the next message, that basically ended the conversation because I can see no further help available here.

I can appreciate your frustration. However, this needs to be looked into to get the fault resolved at our end and until this gets completed at our suppliers Wholesale's end, they distribute the broadband for us we can't get the connection made any earlier. I'm sorry. It will be an update to state that this is either ongoing or the work has completed, I won't know at this moment in time currently. Have you tried creating a BT ID to access the BT wifi via our hotspots in the meantime?

What I find so worrying here is that I'm waiting until friday for an update which (read the bold text) will just tell me again that I need to wait some more. Its potentially a never ending saga that I'm not prepared to endure.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

BT Retail rely on other suppliers like Openreach and BT Wholesale.

These suppliers also supply other service providers and are not allowed to give priority to BT Retail, who just market the products.

So its not that simple.

0 Ratings
2412gary
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Thanks for the reply Keith.

I think regardless of the fake barrier BT have put up between 'BT Retail' and 'BT Wholesale' and also 'Openreach' (who I think were previously called BT Openreach?) it is still simple.

Lets work on the basis that these are 'external' suppliers. 

A 5 working day timescale on just getting an update from these 'suppliers' is still terrible in any situation.

In a situation where I, the new customer, has been cut off from my previous supply source and entered into a contract with BT retail - these delays with no effective resolution plan is just unacceptable.

I decided to sign up with BT because I thought 'I want the best, not the cheapest. I'm going to go with the number 1, with the best services possible regardless of cost'. In fact now a few weeks in I'm getting the reality that I'm dealing with a slow, clunky, fragmented, faceless corporation based in India where customer service is not really considered necessary and there is absolutely no consideration for my needs.

I've been with sky for years and always found their customer service decent. I know realise I've made a big error giving that up.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

There is no 'fake barrier' between BT Retail and openreach and wholesale.  Should there not be a real barrier then the other ISPs would take great delight in informing OFCOM that BT Retail are getting preferential treatment and then stand back as OFCOM slap a huge fine on BT Retail

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Its not a fake barrier, its imposed by Ofcom to ensure fair competition.

BT Retail, Sky, TalkTalk etc, are only selling packages that they put together from different suppliers.

BT retail etc, deal with the billing and provide first line support.

Anything more complicated has to be passed to whichever supplier has provided the service.

Its actually quite a complicated process to put together a package of services, as the associated tasks have to be issued in a specific order. So if one is delayed, it affects every subsequent task.

If it a problem with the provision or maintenance of the line, or fibre cabinets, that is down to Openreach. The term BT Openreach has never been correct, and its a mistake that the press and public make, and even some of the Openreach Field Technicians, who should know better.

They have been told to say that they are from Openreach, working on behalf of your Service Provider xxxxxx.

Its simply Openreach, a BT Group business.

If its a congestion or other network issue, that goes to BT Wholesale.

0 Ratings