cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgoddard
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

BT infinity poor speed

We usually get 42MB of speed which we need for X box, you tube, mobile connections etc, however recently we have only been getting 20MB with the BT extender upstairs - performed the speed test and it says that the connection is 'good'....not sure what to do next? Any ideas?
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT infinity poor speed

Welcome to this user forum.

What speed do you get if you connect directly to the home hub using an Ethernet cable, without any extenders?

0 Ratings
pgoddard
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Around 40MB
0 Ratings
pgoddard
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Do we need to buy a new BT wifi extender or is there any other way of getting good speeds for the X box (in bedroom upstairs)?
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

20meg is more than adequate for xbox gaming.

I get 2.5meg and have no issues playing PS4 online.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
pgoddard
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Sorry, should have explained that the 20mb was with the speedtest on the pc upstairs, the x box was running at 1mb - my son has been trying to download a game for 4 days.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Then try resetting the broadband extenders, which ones are you using?

I assume its not just a wifi extender (repeater), as they will reduce the speed by up to 50%?

Broadband extenders have one part that plugs into the home hub, and the other part plugs into anothe mains socket upstairs.

0 Ratings
pgoddard
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

We are using BT broadband extenders and we have tried to reset them.
0 Ratings
pgoddard
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

I was thinking of buying the bt broadband extender flex 1000.....does anyone know if this is any good? Also is a powerline adapter the same thing as a broadband extender?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Both the BT broadband extenders and powerline devices use the mains wiring so are going to depend on the quality of the mains path.

Both ends of the BT Broadband extenders must be plugged directly into a mains socket, and not to an extension lead, as extension leads will affect the connection speed.

You must not use BT Broadband extenders with other powerline devices, as they use different protocols, and will interfere with each other. This will result in no connection, or very poor speed.

There must only ever be one broadband extender connected to the home hub.

0 Ratings