cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 16

BT infinity speeds are slowing down to a crawl

Great for more than a year with speeds almost always in excess of 30mb, but over the last two months speeds whenever I do test measures an average of about 6mb. Videos on the iPlayer or Youtube during some sessions buffer a lot which is incredibly frustrating. My BT Hub is on the top floor (3rd floor) while I use my laptop on the ground floor (same as before the problem started occurring). I have just had my BT Infinity upgraded and have been told to expect speeds up to 51MB.

I can't figure out what the problem is. Is it the hub (was told the old hub is compatible with upgraded Infinity)?

I changed the modem-to-telephone socket cable (10 metres long). The old one was wearing out.

Could there be a problem with my main computer on the top floor to which the modem and hub is connected? The computer works fine and hasn't slowed down much at all so I can't see how that could be a problem.

Thanks

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT infinity speeds are slowing down to a crawl

The Openreach modem must be connected directly to the master socket that was fitted by Openreach, not via any extension, otherwise you are going to lose connection speed.

Where have you added a 10m cable?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 16

My modem is connected directly to the telephone socket. I use a 10 metre cable because the modem is on top floor and the socket is on the middle floor. But like I say, I use to use the same arrangement previously when the speeds were very fast.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 16

did the install engineer fit the 10m cable?
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 16

When I upgraded to BT Infinity from standard BT Broadband, the engineer was going to replace this 10 metre cable, but did some testing and said it was fine. And indeed the speeds were fine for a long time, but, as I say, they have slowed down greatly over the last 2 months.

I think what I will do is get another of these cables just in case there is something wrong with the current one which may be disrupting signal flow.

By the way, I have restarted the hub several times over the last two months and even went to default settings a couple of times.

I think I may also reinstall the hub for which I will need a CD from BT as I don't have any idea where my original one is.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 16

If feasible (and as Keith said above), it would be better to place the modem near the master socket and connect it there, and run an ethernet cable from the modem to the hub placed in a convenient place.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 16

Just took the laptop to the room where the hub is and the speeds I am now getting are consistently between 35mb and 44mb (BT Infinity was was upgraded over the phone in the last two weeks and taking effect from the 10th). So I suppose its the distance between the laptop and the hub/router. But I still use to get much faster speeds before even from ground floor. I do have very good wireless adapter so that's not the problem.

Is there any way I can bridge the gap between the ground floor and top floor (3rd floor), so to speak, using some kind of device so a second router type device will be positioned on the second floor thus reducing the distance between router and the laptop or other mobile devices when used from ground floor? It needs to be convenient installation (wired or wireless) without too much technical hassle.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 16

First thing is to check if the wireless is on a sensible channel: HomeHub doesn't always make sensible choices.  Install inSSIDer on your laptop and see what other devices there are around and if there is any clash.  Also, try moving the HomeHub around a little, even quite small differences can make a big difference to wireless signals.

You could run an ethernet cable from downstairs to upstairs.  Easy to do, but can be a bit unsightly.  If most of your devices are upstairs, you could use this cable to connect the modem to the HomeHub.  If you have devices both up and down, you may want to keep the HomeHub downstairs and add a switch upstairs.

HomePlug may be suitable for you.  If you search Amazon for HomePlug you will see a couple of kits for just over £30.  Don't go for an 85Mbps one.  A 200Mbps such as the TP-link or D-Link should be much better than wireless, but not as good as a cable.

Depending excatly how many devices you want to connect and where, you can pay more and have a builtin wireless at one end: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-1408-Wireless-N-HomePlug-Adapter/dp/B00472MMCQ/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qi...  Or it may be best for you to use the basic devices and add an old wireless router in switch mode.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 16

Do I just buy the hpomeplug and plug it in my living room. Is that it? This will boost the signal of my existing wireless connections i.e. the laptop?

Also, another thing I seem to recall is that the BT engineer set up the broadband connection to the main computer upstairs as a wireless connection when he upgraded to BT Infinity even though I see an ethernet cable connecting the hub and the compouter whereas previously I had the connection set up as wired. Obviously the laptop connected wirelessly. But the main computer was a wired connection.  It may still be, but I will need to check for sure.

If I want to reinstall BT broadband to the maoin comoputer, can I do it with the CD that came in the BT Infinity box supplied when they installed.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 16

If I want to reinstall BT broadband to the maoin comoputer, can I do it with the CD that came in the BT Infinity box supplied when they installed.  I'll answer the rest in a bit, but a quick one now.  You never need to install the CD that came with the Infinity box on any computer.

0 Ratings