cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 31

Re: BT infinity wifi speed problems

here is a speedtest from a HH4 using wireless at 20 metres from the hub think this proves the point that uptodate drivers make all the difference and the lack of problems with the HH4Infinity speedtest.PNG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 31

john46
Sage

on ‎11-08-2013 14h08

there are many posts that show once drivers are updated the problems are resolved also many wireless adaptors /cards are not wireless n enabled and will not cope with the higher infinity speeds Fact !!!!
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’

The problem is not the connection speed through the wireless device! There is no doubt that infinity is fast, that is not what I am saying! The problem is the signal strength from the router to the wireless device. I find it quite bizarre that I can pick up my next door neighbours Sky Router with better signal strength than I can pick up the home hub in my own house. Fact!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 13 of 31

Thank you all for your replys.
My laptop shows full bars so I'm sure that's not the issue. I had virgin media fiber optic before switching to bt and never had a problem. If it works with virgin im sure my wireless device is up to date. I did try searching for an update it confirms that.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 31

gg30340
Guru

on ‎11-08-2013 14h12

You are right you are paying for a service, but according to you you are not being supplied a decent router, others would disagree and reckon the Homehub 4 is a decent router, so rather than being ridiculous I would see it as a way of sorting the problem rather than just moaning about it.
If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I am just expressing my own opinion like you are yours.
I just don't think it is right that you are advising people to go out and spend more money on equipment that surely should be provided by BT to provide an adequate service.
I am sure all the many other broadband suppliers out there would not expect you to do this...?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 31

My laptop is only 2 years old so I don't want to purchase another wireless card. It's n ready so I don't see no reason why it would work with virgin and not bt
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 31

I am not advising you or anybody else to go out and spend money on a router or to do anything. I said you could consider buying a router or other options such as updating drivers or just moan about it.

As said, I am sure there many people that think the HH4 does a good job and are happy with it. It's completely up to you what you think and do with regards the problem you have.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 17 of 31

But you shouldn't have to! That's my point!! What a poor cop out of an answer!
I'm paying for a service that's not being provided, I have a right to moan about it.

You should get a job working for BT...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 31

@Chriswooduk wrote:

The problem is not the connection speed through the wireless device! There is no doubt that infinity is fast, that is not what I am saying! The problem is the signal strength from the router to the wireless device. I find it quite bizarre that I can pick up my next door neighbours Sky Router with better signal strength than I can pick up the home hub in my own house. Fact!!

your assumption of signal strength seems incorrect as OP confirm that he has full bars signal from router to laptop   you may have that problem with the hub but OP does not

the router chipset in the HH is different to that in virgin router so the suggestion to check wifi card manufacturer's website seems first thing to try and see if there is an updated driver - not rely on windows update which normally lags behind the manufacturer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 31

As it would appear that you only want to moan about it rather than at least hear what others have to offer as possible solutions, whether or not you want to use them and then have a dig at the person for suggesting them, there is no point in me trying any further. I'll leave you to get on with it but I would be interested to hear how you finally fix your problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 20 of 31

I am more than happy to hear others suggestions but the only advice that is being given is to go out and buy replacement routers which I think is unacceptable.
I think, ultimately, the only way to resolve the issue is to use a different broadband supplier as I see no other workable solution.
0 Ratings